09 | Life and It's Clock

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

+ SAY MY DAYS ARE NUMBERED, BUT I KEEP
WAKIN' UP. [ drake, future - life is good ]

"Good morning, Supra!"

"Y-Yaya..?" The reaper's orbs widened, his brown hazel orbs reflecting the sunlight that streamed through the window. Not far from where he stood, is the familiar girl he's been paying visits every now and then, still in her iconic pink hijab. "What.. are you doing here?"

She snorts, "To see you, obviously."

"Thank you.. for that." Supra answers, tensed up. He hadn't been expecting another guest since last night's troubling conversation, which ended with Glacier silently picking Frostfire up and dragging himself out the door. Death hadn't interacted with anyone yet.

Except for Yaya. "You look tired. Something's wrong?"

"Intuitive, as always." He murmurs underneath his breath. Out of every human that he's been in contact with before, Yaya's one of the most threatening presence to him. If he let down his guard, she could see how he's instantly affiliated with the supernatural.

"What did you say? Sorry, didn't catch that."

"Ah, that's nothing.." He rises up to his feet from the chair, looking around to make sure that he wouldn't be spotted by any of the officials nearby, "Wanna go out and have some breakfast?"

She grins, "You're paying, I assume."

"Not this again." He groans, rubbing a hand on his temple.

"I'm kidding, jock." Yaya jabs the boy's side by her elbow, earning a slight surprised grimace, "Besides, I still owe you that hot chocolate. Why don't we go back there and play another round of scrabble if we can?" She points at her bag, "I brought a bigger one."

Despite not liking the game a single bit, he couldn't help but agree with a curt nod. Something about the game says that it might be their last. "Sure," He shrugs, "Death By Chocolate, then."

"I'm starting to like their ginger ale tea too."

"You do? Finally. Someone who understands culture."

"It's not culture, Supra." She smiles lopsidedly, "Idiot."

The duo continue to chat as they made their way out the regular, 184-storey building. During their bonding times, he found out how he didn't despise his human-given name at all, seeing how the girl had changed his perspective drastically. 

Supra's a really unique name, she said once, while they were out for a walk in the park, petting a dog nearby, I don't think I've heard anyone use that name before. It's beautiful.

It's not, he wanted to retort back. But he sewed his mouth shut. At the question of what his name meant, he answered, I don't know. Are names supposed to have meanings? On that day, they spent 30 minutes on the web, searching up new words.

Yaya read from her phone, It means god-like.

Oh, he said back then, jokingly. That explains it, then.

"Cocky, aren't you?" The exact, same reply was uttered by Yaya today, as she raises a brow triumphantly at the sight of her masterpiece. TRANSCENDING. Now, the rules have changed. It was no longer about themselves anymore, but rather, the way they percieve the world.

Death blinks at it, "Transcending? What's that about?"

"You know, when people die." Yaya casually brushes the crumbs of her biscuits away on the table, littering them on the floor. It's for the ants, she whispers, once. "There's this story of how souls would rise up to heaven, or go down to hell, depending on how nice they are."

"I've.. never heard of that story. Mind telling me?"

"Your life seems boring, Supra. You should be out more."

"M-Me?" Bewildered, he raises his chin, "Quitting my job?"

"Not that kind of going out, idiot." Her words reminded him so vividly of Frostfire, but more calm and collected. "I mean, socializing with other people. You're really the most clueless person I've met." A genuine laugh rang through the air. "But sure, I'll tell you."

The tips of his ears turned red, "Uh, okay."

"I heard this from my grandfather, once. That some people can live up to about 200 years old. I don't necessarily believe in that, though. Nowadays, a human's lifespan is only up to a maximum of 100, although some people can surpass that boundary. Somehow."

He inclines his head, signing for her to go on, despite knowing everything that she's said. It's been an unspoken protocol within the death association, that a human shouldn't be able to live after a century. 

They're not supposed to see the future, Glacier told him.

And neither are we, he wanted to say. But it would be a lie.

"There's this old tale about how a wise man eventually lived up to 200 years old through meditating and contacting the Gods." Yaya swirls the straw of her cup, mixing it's liquid ingredients, "Although it's just a story, really, it's cool. Imagine if you could live up to 500."

"Wouldn't that be too long?" Supra felt self-aware.

Fortunately, the girl didn't seem to take notice of this, focusing on her drink instead. "It might be. But I think that it would be nice to see what humans would build. In a year, we get a lot of things. Like the Genome Project- it ended just after a decade and a half-ish.

Or you know, people could be friends in a few months and start dating. Each year, people would progressively increase the knowledge they have in their brains." She stops, "I sound super geeky right now. Sorry for the sudden ramble."

"Don't be." He chuckles, "I'm glad to listen."

"Sure, you do."

"Of course I do." Supra snorts, "We made an oath."

"Right," Yaya's face flushed, and she clears her throat, "Moving on. It's kind of self-explainable about the good and the bad. Doing more good things in this life would get you to heaven, and then doing crime, pick-pocketing or constant lying would put you in hell."

No wonder I'm in hell. Supra thinks, grimly.

"That's about it, I guess."

"And what about the people who do bad things, but only because they're incapable of doing the good?" Supra asks, just out of curiosity. "Do they fall in hell too?"

Yaya puts a finger on her chin, "Huh. I've never thought of that."

"I figured that there must be a line between them, no?"

"Maybe," She answers, gripping her cup, "Why would you ask?"

"It wouldn't be fair, would it? For the people who try their best to be good." Death puts his cheek on his open palm, dragging the edge of his fingers to draw imaginary things on the table, "Good and bad, they're both subjective in this world."

Yaya looks up to the ceiling. "You're right." The conversation's starting to get philosophical now, and she didn't mind it one bit. One of the reasons why Supra's such a lovable dork is because he's able to easily drift the conversation into an existential problem.

And for people like her, they're crucial to converse about.

"I think that they deserve a second chance, really." 

"A second chance?" Supra perks up, intrigued. "You mean.."

"Oh no, rebirth or reincarnation might not be possible." She shakes both hands in the air, denying his thought process. "You know, villains? Whether it be in books, movies, or in real life- they're always concealed by the mask of darkness. Nobody knows why."

"You mean, their motives?"

"Exactly. It's important that we consider one's background before judging them." She sighs, "That's what we are, though. We tend to judge people from the exterior side instead of knowing them inside-out. They get captured by the police. Demanded by the public to be dead."

Supra bites his lower lip, "That's unfortunate."

"It really is. People say, use your common sense." Yaya starts to stack the tiles up, one by one, out of physical boredom, "But they never use it, when it comes to emotional judging. How we feel would affect our decisions. They say to never make one when you're angry or sad."

Death felt like he just trudged into a whole new world.

"You said that there are still good people in this world, and that there are villains who should be given a second chance to prove themselves right." He ends it with a hypothetical question, as the girl in front of him raises a questioning brow. "But humans.. you- I mean, we're.."

"We're the worst and best creatures to exist in this world."

Yaya eyes softened,  "Everyone has a little good in them."

He looks up, reddening hazel orbs against brown, hazel ones. "Then answer this. If good people truly exists, why is this world so sick?"

Her mouth opened, then closed without an answer.

Above her head, the numbers start to tick.

i had to put that lesson here :)) alotta people
take things for granted. remember to do good,
peeps uwu last 2 chapters soon!

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro