04;

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

chapter four,
harrison thinks we fucked

SOME of the transfers were bound to fail. Not only did the system require it to happen, but it wasn't in everyone's veins to become a fighter. For that reason mainly, that's why they were divided into factions. That's why people were afraid of the Divergents because it just meant that they were better than anyone else. Divergent was a rebel. It was a person who could destroy peace either for good or for bad. They were dangerous. But silencing them wasn't the way to go if you want them on your side.

Wave was a rebel, but she has seen her test results herself. She has been sitting on that chair during that test. She was fully Dauntless. Since Tori was the one who oversaw her test result, she even made a joke that Dauntless was flowing out of her veins. But the words of her father worried her – she was rejected for leadership just because she displayed the Divergent behaviour. It wasn't a crime to be how she was. Unless the Erudites wanted to make it a crime.

It wasn't a secret what Jeanine was doing with the weaponry in the middle of the night. Everyone knows that the Erudites wanted to overthrow the government of Abnegation and take it all to themselves. But, of course, they didn't want to do it peacefully. They needed manpower. They need ammunition. They needed marionettes. And frankly, Wave didn't intend to be one. Nor does she want to be a hero.

She needed his help.

Looking through the practising transfers, Tris stood out to her the most. She wasn't the strongest-looking girl nor she was tall, but she had determination. She was unbelievably stubborn which wasn't a usual trait for the Abnegation faction. Everything about her screamed modesty and there was no doubt that others were making fun of her. It was odd for an Abnegation to transfer here. Most of them died, the only one successful was in the same room as her.

But Tris was fierce. She was determined to push through this initiation. She was the first jumper on her own will and that meant that she liked the taste of adrenaline. What were her test results? She looked tough, tougher than before, especially now, while she was hitting that punching bag with every ounce of force she had in her petite body.

Wave made her way to the training girl, who gave her a brief look before continuing with her practice. Her stance was surprisingly proper and the wounds on her knuckles showed that she has been spending more time on this than the others.

"What were your test results?" Wave asked, bluntly.

The girl stopped for a few seconds, but then, she adjusted the punching bag and looked at her: "I'm not supposed to say, am I?"

Wave shrugged, "Yeah, technically you're not allowed. But what were your test results?"

Tris' eye contact seemed a bit too prolonged: "Abnegation."

The Dauntless chuckled, "Typical. Then what are you doing here?"

"Is there a problem with me being here?"

The bleached blonde held up her hands in a surrender motion and shook her head: "No need to pick a fight with me, sweetheart. We don't get many transfers from Abnegation. I'm curious, that's all." Dropping her hands beside her, she slightly tilted her head: "But you'll need to find your opponent's weakness, Tris. Leaders will always pair you with someone bigger than you."

"I know," she breathed out, the sweat on her forehead glistening in the pale light above their heads.

"And you better hope your test result is Abnegation because you'll end up wishing that the fighting is the hardest task around here," Wave said this quieter before she walked away, walking closer to Four.

The man chuckled, "Great pep-talk," he mumbled, his low notes making her back get covered with shivers.

"You know yourself that her test results weren't what she tells them to be. She is a smart girl, but she doesn't know how to lie properly."

"What are you saying, then?" Four turned to her, slightly lowering his chin to face her.

Wave grinned, "You know what I'm saying, Four. You'll be the one who will monitor her after this. Let's hope your IT skills will be helpful."

His eyes slowly dropped to her lips, to the little scar on her upper lip and back to her eyes, "You should be careful saying these things out loud, Wave."

She loved the way he said her name. He didn't say it often, but he always said it with a slightly irritated tone – for her, it was hot.

"I actually need your help," she changed the topic.

Four's expression glistened with interest. You could almost say he was standing smug, full of himself. Wave, asking him for help? Oh... "Something has happened to you."

"Something is going on with the Erudite faction. They are getting involved a bit too much in our business," she stared, not looking at him, looking at the transfers and the way they were training, her voice hushed.

"Why are you telling me this? Shouldn't you tell this to your father?" The man pointed out.

Wave tilted her head in a disappointed manner and looked at him through the sides of her eyes. She pushed the tongue to her cheek and slightly bit it to stop herself from screaming in frustration. "Because my father is involved in this. Yesterday, Jeanine got in our weaponry in the middle of the night and they are planning something not so pretty... They need ammunition. And fast."

"Why are you telling me this?" He repeated his question.

This made Wave fully turn to him and deadpan. She was regretting her decision to ask for his help, but she didn't have any other option. "Because I need your skills to help me get the information I need."

Four straightened his back and for a split second, Wave could see some sort of pleasure of his from hearing her words. This only made her want to smack him on his beautiful face. "You know I could just rat you out and you would say goodbye to your non-existent leadership."

Oh, so he was playing dirty now? "The leadership was never mine. You are the only person in this faction who rejected the leadership not once, but three times," she pointed out, "you know something bad is going to happen."

"Or maybe I just don't want to be a leader."

"Bullshit, Four," she shook her head. "We both know that's not it."

Four stood silent for a few seconds after her words. Even if his face seemed blank as if there were no thoughts behind his coffee eyes, but he was intensely thinking. He never saw this kind of side of her—eager and hurting. It was obvious that the leadership was everything for her and she couldn't have it. It was easy for him to say no when the leadership was offered to him. It was never offered to her. Not even when he vouched for her.

Yet at the same time, Four was planning to leave this faction for quite some time, but there was nowhere to go. He knew that horrible things were brewing and his becoming a leader wouldn't stop anything. His vote amongst others wouldn't help. He would be tossed away.

"What do you need me to do?" He finally asked.

"I need you to break into the files of the leaders and find something about the new records, especially from the Erudite faction. They mentioned something about serums."

He slightly furrowed his eyebrows: "Is it a new weapon?"

"Knowing the Erudites – yes."

"Why don't you just run away?"

The woman chuckled, "Where, my dearest Four? You and I both know that if there was a place to run away, I'd already meet you there."

"I'd help you get over the fence just to get rid of you," he admitted.

Wave plastered a huge smile, "You'd really do that for me?"

The man rolled his eyes and crossed his arms: "Be by the booth at three. If you're late – I'm not waiting for you."

♖ ♖ ♖

WAVE was by the IT booth at three in the night sharp. She was looking at the camera right on the corner facing her and she was pounding her leg anxiously. As she was about to knock, the door to the booth opened and Four appeared on the other side of the door.

"About fucking time!" She whisper-yelled and immediately moved inside the booth where there was nothing else but a huge table with a computer that had eight screens and a chair. There wasn't even a proper lamp in there – the screens lit up the room enough.

He closed the door behind her. "Remind me, why am I helping you again?"

"Because I asked nicely?"

Four deadpanned, "Sure you did."

"I hope you will delete the footage of me being here because that fucking camera was checking me out like it was nobody's business."

He only let out a sigh – did she actually think he was an idiot? "I started looping the footage about an hour ago. You can stop being such a hothead." He sat down in the comfortable-looking chair and she stood beside it, letting her hand rest on the top of the chair.

Quickly, Four started to work at the computer. Files and whatnots where flashing on all of the screens at the speed of light as she couldn't even figure out what half of that stuff was. She knew that the files were highly protected, but she didn't know that Four was that good at his job.

"Huh, you're a bigger nerd than I expected you to be," Wave mumbled, watching his skilled fingers type a bunch of random letters on the keyboard.

"You make no sense," he mumbled, his eyes focused on the screens and not on the keyboard, making her wonder how he was even doing this so fast. It was his job besides being the one to train the transfers, but she didn't know he was that good at it. "So what exactly am I looking for?"

"Just get into my father's files. Feels like he is the one closest with Jeanine," she informed even if her undertones sounded bitter—it was her father after all even if she didn't have the most perfect relationship with him. If her beliefs are going to be right and her father is waging a war against other factions... She hoped they would find nothing to prove this.

"Keep a watch, will you?" Four annoyingly asked since Wave was leaning way too much to his chair and it made him feel out of focus.

Wave clicked her tongue in an annoyed manner as she knew no one was going to bother them since everyone knew that no one should disturb the people in the control rooms, especially Four when he was working. But she complied, moving away from his chair and moving to the door, pushing her back to it, listening if anyone would be coming.

It was safe to say Wave was bored. She couldn't disturb Four since he was helping her, surprisingly, but this whole hacking into the leader files didn't give her the adrenaline it normally should. It didn't bring her fear that she wanted to spy on the people who could throw her away or that anyone could come in any time.

"I think you are going to want to see this," Four caught her attention and she skipped her step while coming to him, leaning closer to the computers, seeing her file.

Wave knew what to expect, or at least she expected that it was not going to be very pretty. That's why she nudged her head to Four and he opened it, a neatly written file displayed on the screen.

Name: Wavelyn Thompson
Faction: Dauntless
Current Faction: Dauntless
Birth date: 01.10.3057
Parents: George and Anais Thompson
Initiation ranking: 2nd
Test results: Dauntless
Behaviour: impulsive, inadequate.
         Leadership is denied for displaying Divergent behaviour.
            Further investigation is needed!

She knew about this much. The fact that she displayed Divergent behaviour was unbelievable as if this faction kept on searching for reasons to keep her away from the leadership. There was a lot of information stuffed in that file: school grades, information about her family, grades for the initiation, submitted reports about the weapons – everything was recorded.

"Your name is Wavelyn?" Four pointed out and she turned her head at him in disbelief. That's what he noticed? Her full name?

"Yeah, mister perfect name, Wavelyn sounds better than a fucking number," she mumbled in annoyance.

"At least you changed it."

"I shortened it," she corrected him. "Probably your name is like—Josh, no... Something like Wilfred! Why don't you open your file and let's review your life?"

Four clenched his jaw slightly – he didn't like to be reminded of his previous life. "Let's focus on you, shall we?"

The file disappeared from the screens and the database was turned back on as he was looking through her father's case. Opening several files, he kept on looking for something suspicious until he opened one file that was nothing but a case of dots and lines.

Wave leaned to his chair, moving it slightly: "Morse code?"

"Probably," he scrolled down and it seemed endless. What the hell was this? "Or they would want someone to think it is Morse code?"

"So they just made some code up?"

"If they are hiding something – yes."

Wave's mood dropped – how were they supposed to know what the hell was going on when they used a made-up code? This was a lot more complicated than she expected it to be. She didn't want to spend any more time on this. But it seemed that something serious was brewing if they needed to code this.

"Well... Can you hack something from this?" She asked, clueless.

"No. This file is not coded in any way apart from the written part. Nothing more I can do."

Wave moved away from him, "Can you send it to me? I'll try to..." What she will try? She didn't have half a brain for these things. "I'll try to figure something out."

"With what will you start?" He turned to her with the whole chair.

She shrugged, feeling helpless. Getting over the fence and starting to get away from here seemed like a better idea. "I don't know—there's probably information there about war brewing between the factions and I don't even know why I'm bothering with this... I have nowhere else to go. There is nothing beyond the wall."

Four looked at her. It was one of the rare times he had seen her so raw. Without her cheekiness. She was far more attractive this way – honest. And he felt how she was feeling – he didn't know where to go. He escaped from one danger and now another one was lurking in the shadows. They were all trapped in the end, no place to run to, no place to hide.

"I'll help, but we'll need a place to solve this. This won't do. Someone will notice if I will keep interrupting the cameras," he said.

"My place, then. I got rid of the cameras years ago."

Four slightly hummed, not convinced that he would want to be seen around her place.

Wave noticed that. "If it makes you feel better – Harrison already thinks we fucked."

He almost choked on his spit: "I will..."

"Cut his beloved ponytail? Please do that, and send me the video," she chuckled.

so sorry for the long wait, but here are we! what are your thoughts? xx happy new year!

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro