(4) Butterflies

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

It was raining and I didn't have an umbrella. My clothes were fully drenched and- Wait what?

How is it raining indoors?

I opened my eyes to find myself drenched in water. I shot up and looked around only to find my dear brother standing there, smirking like he had just won an Oscar.

"What the hell Jonah!" I shouted.

"You weren't waking up." He shrugged.

"So you poured ice water on me?" I raised my eyebrows. He just shrugged, trying to control his laughter.

Oh. He is so dead.

I got up from the bed and ran towards Jonah, who bolted outside the room.

I was pretty fit. Cheerleading has been good for my muscles. But then again, even Jonah was a football player.

"Jonah!" I shouted as I chased him down the stairs.

While running down the stairs, I forgot one small thing- I was drenched in water. I slipped on some water before I reached the last step, making me fall on my butt.

Wow Val. Just wow.

Much to my dismay, Jonah saw this and burst out laughing.

"What is going on with you? It's early in the morning for gods sake!" My dad shouted as he entered the living room, his 'Best Dad' coffee mug in his hand.

"He woke me up by drenching me in water." I complained.

"She chased me around the house for almost ten minutes!" Jonah complained.

"He made me trip and I fell down the stairs." I lied. Well, it was partially true. It was Jonah who poured water on me which had made me slip.

"I did not. You fell on your own." Jonah narrowed his eyes at me.

"That will be enough, you two." My dad glared at both of us.

"It's so early in the morning. Plus you don't even have school. Why did you have to wake me up?" My dad groaned.

My dad was never a morning person. But when mom died, he had to be one. He always had to wake up early, make us kids breakfast, go early to the two jobs he was balancing at that time.

It was only when I started going to high school that he got a huge promotion in one of his jobs and he became a bit relaxed as he didn't need to do two jobs.

"Jonah. Apologise to your sister." My dad stated.

"Why should I do that? She was the one who chased me around the house." Jonah complained.

"She wouldn't have had to chase you if you wouldn't have poured water on her." My dad stated.

I am pretty sure my dad could solve My and Jonah's arguments in his sleep. He was very used to it.

"I am sorry." Jonah rolled his eyes.

"I would have told you to apologise properly. But I know you won't do it so. So I wouldn't even ask." My dad rolled his.

My dad and Jonah looked very similar. They both had the same electric blue eyes, dark brown hair and sharp jawline.

If Jonah gets a little fat and grows some white hair, they both would look like twins.

I, on the other hand, was a mixture of both my parents. I had chocolate brown eyes which I inherited from my mom and dark brown hair from my dad.

"And both of you, please let me drink my coffee peacefully!" My dad shouted as he walked back into the kitchen.

"You hurt?" Jonah asked as he walked over to me, helping me get up.

"Nah. I'm good." I chuckled. 

Then a sinister idea came to my mind. 

I fake-flinched as I took a step ahead and Jonah immediately gave me a look of concern.

"I think I have a pain in my lower back. Can you help me up the stairs?" As soon as I asked this, Jonah was beside me, my hand over his shoulder, helping me walk.

Sometimes, I really love my brother.

Keyword- Sometimes.

I took one step ahead and while taking the next step, I hugged Jonah, drenching his clothes with water as well, and I ran up the stairs.

"Val!"

I got Christian's number. How had I done that?

That will be a secret I will be taking with me to my grave.

Valerina
Hey, Val here!

Before I Christian could even see the message, my phone rang, making me jump in surprise.

I expected it to be Christian but it was Ryder.

"Hey!" I chirped.

"Don't you dare 'hey' me! Where the hell were you last night?!? You just vanished. I was looking everywhere for you. But you just weren't there. And then a stranger comes and tells me that you went home. I mean, what the hell, Val? Do you know how worried I was?" Ryder shouted through the phone.

I was immediately hit with a lot of guilt.

"Ryder, I am really sorry." I apologised and told him everything that I did last night.

"So, you left me to go out with a stranger?" He asked.

"Ryder, it's not like that." I sighed. "You know how much I hate prom."

"That doesn't justify the fact that you didn't even tell me!" Ryder shouted. "That's it. I need a break."

"Are you breaking up with me?" I uncertainly asked.

"Yes, Valerina. I am breaking up with you." And with that he ended the call.

I just sat there, with my phone in my hand, staring at the wall.

I didn't know what just happened.

I didn't know what to say or how to react.

I didn't feel like crying because my boyfriend broke up with me.

I didn't feel happy because I was free to date anyone now.

I just didn't know how to react.

I only felt like I just lost the only true friend I ever made in highschool.

I was shaken out of my trance when my phone buzzed.

It was a message from Christian. A small smile immediately made its way up to my lips.

Christian
Hey.
I am not even going to ask how you got my number.

Valerina
Good decision.

BTW, I told Ryder that you had gone home. You kind of forgot about him.

Ryder and I broke up.

I have no idea why I told him that. But right now, I didn't care. I just needed to tell someone that and take it out of my system.

Christian
You okay?

Valerina
Surprisingly, yes.

There was no message after that. He hadn't even read it. I just switched off my phone and laid on my bed, staring at the ceiling, which was filled with butterflies.

My eldest brother, Brandon, loved painting. But there was a time when we couldn't even afford paint brushes and canvases for him.

So, the ten year old me climbed into the attic, took out the remaining drums of wall paint which had been stored there for a very long time, gave my brother one of my smallest teddy bears to use as a brush and told him to paint my ceiling with butterflies.

After I told him that, his happiness knew no end. He rushed towards me and hugged me very tightly, kissing my cheeks multiple times. My dad stood behind us, a proud look on his face, and a sad smile gracing his lips.

I was shaken out of my memory when my phone buzzed.

Christian
Don't take this the wrong way, but...
Would you go on a date with me?

A/N:

Hey guys!!

Two updates in three days? I am a queeeeen!

I hope you liked the chapter!!

Anyways... I made some minor changes in the first chapter so go check it out or you'll get confused sometime later in the book...

And about my Hypersyllabus Nopreparation Syndrome- well, there has been zero progress... :(

Until Next Time...

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro