Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

19 : Lost Ring

★★★

"Bhai, can you take me to the hospital?" His sister rushed to him, a troubled look on her face.

He frowned. "Why? What happened?"

"I- I found this ring there two days back when I went there to meet my friend. I forgot to give it to the receptionist that day and I just remembered it now."

Showing him the ring she told him he was about to just dismiss her when his gaze fell on the ring. Unable to move his gaze away he took the ring from her fingers, memories flashing in front of his eyes.

With shaking fingers, he turned it around to check if it was the same ring. The ring which he gave her, the love of his life, Laila. And sure enough, there it was, their initials carved at the inside of the ring. He didn’t know whether to laugh or to cry. He wasn't even listening to his sister anymore.

"Bhai, are you even listening to me?" She shook his shoulders with a frown, bringing him back to reality.

He rushed out of the room, the ring clasped tightly in his fist. He didn't know what you think, he didn't know what to feel or expect. But one thing was for sure, he should not expect anything good.

Rushing to the receptionist, he inquired about her, huffing. "Can I know where Laila Abdul Kadir is?"

The receptionist looked at him in puzzlement. "I am sorry we don't have anyone with that name."

"I am looking for Laila Abdul Kadir who might be a patient here." He repeated impatiently, a frown already making its way to his face.

"And who might you be?"

"Her fia- her friend. I am her friend."

"Okay, let me check."

"No, I'm sorry we don't have any patients with that name."

"She was here two days back, can you please check it again?"

After a while of tense silence, she spoke hesitantly while looking at him. "Yes, you are right. There was a patient with this name here two days back. But…"

"But what? Is she discharged?" He was getting irritated with the slightly aged woman now. Why was she testing his patience?

"She was at the last stage of lung cancer when she came here and passed away that same day at 8:37 pm… I'm sorry…" She looked at him sympathetically. She could make out from his behavior that he was worried about her. About someone who passed away two days back and he wasn't even informed about it.

★★★

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro