Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Before long people filled the tavern but no one gave us a second glance. "Perhaps we should be returning," Treville said and helped me out of my seat. We walked back to the barracks but it was still quiet until I heard someone call my name from one of the balconies I looked up and saw Aramis smiling down at me. "Rosa when did you get back?" he asked.

"Earlier this morning," I replied before I could say anymore D'artagnan wrapped me in a hug.

"It's good to have you home." He smiled and squeezed me tighter.

"So am I, so am I," I replied. Porthos and Athos also greeted me both slapping me on the back gently.

"How was the journey?" Athos asked.

"Long," I answered and yawned.

"Have you rested?" Aramis asked. I shook my head.

"No, I rode straight in," I replied.

"How are you still standing?" D'artagnan asked.

"Barely," I replied.

"Perhaps we should go for a ride later and let you rest?" Athos suggested.

"Nah I'm good let's go," I said and began to walk towards the stable.

"Are you sure?" Treville asked. "You know Athos is right."

"I'm good," I insisted.

"The lady insists," Aramis said.

"As much as we'd love to join you we have business to attend to," Porthos said dragging Aramis and D'artagnan with him. Athos and I both mounted our horses and took off onto the forest route.

"You know we've missed you amongst our ranks," Athos smiled.

"Oh?" I asked nudging my horse on.

"D'artagnan and Aramis took it in shifts," he said.

"How about you?" I asked.

"Me? I knew you'd return when it's over," he said.

"Okay," I said and rode further ahead. After a little while, we reached our usual spot a little way away from the river. The ash from the fire where we spent the last few days before I went away was still there and the two logs we dragged over to. We dismounted the horses and removed their tack and laid it down on the ground. Athos hugged me the moment we stood still.

"Woah okay this is new," I said. "Are you sure you're the Athos I left?"

"Yes," he said. We both sat on the logs and he started the fire as the cold was soon making itself known.  I pulled my cloak around my shoulders more and rubbed my hands together.  "Was the mission as difficult as you thought?"

"Yes, and I'd rather not talk about it," I said and looked away blinking away the tears that threatened to fall.

"Okay. Are you going to the winter ball that the King is holding?" He asked.

"No," I replied.

"Why? Everyone looks forward to it every year," he said.

"I'd rather be out here galloping on my horse," I replied.

"But Aramis was... never mind," he said falling silent.

"Aramis what?" I asked.

"I wasn't supposed to tell you but Aramis really wants to take you," he answered.

"But he knows I don't like big gatherings," I replied.

"I guess he's hoping you've changed your mind. But don't tell him I said anything," Athos said his gaze locking with mine.

"I promise," I said.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro