12 - Basketball is the New Math

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Reasons Why I Hate Kai #12 : He has a short attention span

I stood on the fire escape. I looked at my phone and scrolled through the photo stream until I got to the ones I tried to bury as deep in my phone as possible. I didn't delete them because they were memories. Little pockets of time we'll never get back again.

I smiled sadly at the picture of Dad holding baby Leif. Pops supporting me on his knee as he kissed Dad's cheek. My hair was wild, curls everywhere. Leif was doing a wide baby smile in his t-Rex jumper.

"Nice picture."

I bit back a scream as I turned to a familiar pair of eyes, with the same mischievous glint.

"Oh it's you." I tried to calm my racing heart. "Jerk thing you did today inviting the fire ninja over."

I wiped at my eyes turning away.

"A simple thank you would suffice. Besides I owe you for the tutoring session."

I gave a laugh. "What tutoring session?"

"The one in the hall. The pep talk? Well...I decided to consider it tutoring." He gave me a sideways smile.

I shook my head. "That was not tutoring."

"Sure it was!" Kai and took out his phone and held it to his mouth. "Siri, define tutoring."

"Verb: act as a tutor to a pupil or small group."

I raised an eyebrow.

"Tutoring is teaching and you taught me a little life lesson." Kai raised his hands in victory.

"Whatever." I glanced away. Leaning forward. "But...thank you."

"I beg your pardon?" He held a hand to his ear, leaning in close to me.

I shoved him with a grin. "I said thank you, you jerk-face."

"Really! Alright this time I'm going to record it, I want proof I'm not going crazy." Kai teased.

"I'm not saying it again." I gave him an agitated look. "If you don't want to take it..."

"I'll take it!" Kai tried to lean against the wall and did a small jerk of the chin in a cliche cool boy motion. "So what did I deserve to get such an honour?" He said in a deep tone.

I rolled my eyes but answered. "You gave my brother the best birthday he's had since D-" I stopped myself. "Since forever."

Kai frowned suddenly. "Are you alright?"

"It's just been a hectic day." I swallowed hard. "I'm tired. I should go to bed."

He blinked, the eyes that had once been teasing now etched in concern. "Okay... Goodnight."

I moved to leave but paused. I turned as Kai was crawling into his room.

I took out my phone and quickly texted.

Tomorrow. After school. Library. Don't be late.

There was a faint ding from his opened window and I leaned over just in time for me to see his mouth turn into a huge grin. I bit my lip as a small one of my own grew when I heard the excited cheers of Leif from inside as I scurried in.

All morning Kai was glancing at me. I had never payed much attention to him but I could clearly see he was looking at me. I ignored it for awhile I scribbled notes but out of the corner of my eye I saw him staring for an especially long time.

I glanced up and made a face at him. My expression clearly stating: What is it weirdo?

He looked surprised for a moment before smirking at me- much to my annoyance.

My phone buzzed and I sent him a look before checking as discretely as possible on top of the book I was already hiding on my lap.

Do I get free pencils?

I glanced at the teacher before texting back.

No, bring your own jerk-face.

Why?

To lazy to bring your own pencil? I can see the reason why you need tutoring. This may turn into a work out session.

Sly James, you trying to check out my abs?

He almost got me at that comment. But I quickly thought of a come back.

What abs? You mean the ones perfectly hidden under a nice layer of fat?

He literally dropped his phone. Giving me an offended look.

"I have muscles!" He burst out.

Everyone stared at him and his friends seated around him started chuckling as the teacher began to scold him.

My hand flew to my mouth as I started laughing so hard my sides hurt. I couldn't stop even when the teacher asked me to calm down.

Long story short we each had plenty of homework to do during the tutoring session.

"UUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

I glanced up from my book. "You done?" I asked. I flipped the page.

Kai did another exaggerated groan and slumped farther down in his seat.

"Can't we do anything not boring?" He whined.

"Nope." I popped the word.

"You're a horrible tutor." He chucked a wrapper at me.

I caught it and chucked it back, nailing him in the head.

"This is more boring than listening to Cole sing some sappy love song." Kai grumbled.

"You know who's a good singer?" I looked up. "Siena?"

"What?"

I huffed. "Why are kids these days so ignorant? I fear for the future of humanity."

"Hey! I'm not in...in...immigrant!" Kai screwed his face up as he tried to figure out the word.

I started laughing. "Oh my god."

"Shhhh!" The librarian hissed before slowly shrinking under her book.

I rolled my eyes. "Look, when Leif doesn't want to eat his vegetables we usually make it into a game to make it fun."

Kai thought for a moment. "I don't like vegetables."

"How about if you don't do this I'm personally shoving vegetables in your gym shorts?"

He straightened.

"You like basketball right?" I asked.

He nodded.

"Let's go to the court by the park and for every shot we have to solve a simple equation. We can make the steps a chant!"

Kai frowned but shrugged. "Better than sitting here."

"Divide by fifteen!"

He dribbled it quickly before passing to me.

"That makes twenty four!" I did a quick dribble under my leg before passing back.

"X equals twenty four!" Kai sunk the basket with a yell.

He raised his fists. "Heck yeah!" He dribbled back to the corner.

"Don't get distracted." I snaked around him and got the ball, I feinted to the right before shoving by him to the left before doing a perfect three point shot.

"Nice!" Kai laughed, trying to get around me. "You're very good at this."

I snatched it. "Thanks, I used to be on the girl's basketball team."

Kai grabbed it back and moved it out of my reach when I tried to go for it. "Hang on a second." He stopped brow furrowed. "Why'd you stop?"

"I needed to spend more time with Leif. Pops needed a sitter and we need every penny we have." I lunged but he yanked it away.

"Isla." He mumbled. "Well that's not very fair. What else are you giving up?"

"Nothing, I didn't join any other clubs." I huffed. Wondering why this mattered so much. "It's fine. Family comes first."

"It's not fine! Is this why you never hang out with anybody? Because you spend so much time looking after Leif, who by the way is very capable. " Kai's eyes flashed.

"Leif is a kid! You legally cannot leave them on their own!" I retorted. I grabbed at the ball and finally pulled it from his grasp. I squeezed my eyes shut can calmed my breathing. "I decide not to hang out with people because I don't want to okay? It's not because of Leif, it's not because of Pops, it's not because of anybody. Okay?"

Kai sighed. "Okay....sorry, I-I just....I don't know."

"You have a protective nature." I gave a small smile. "It's an older sibling thing."

He gave a grin of his own. "Yeah...I guess."

I tossed the ball back at him. "Now come on, best two out of three!"

A/N*****

Anyone else wait around all day just for someone to update? I totally do! I literally check my notifications any chance I get! But my sister has her own personal goal of making us all play cards twenty four/seven.

LuckyBugBooks 😆

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro