2 - On The Fire Escape

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Reason Why I Hate Kai #2: I have to live next to him.

Because Ninjago City is messed up and weird when someone is an orphan apparently it's perfectly normal for a sixteen year old to live alone in an apartment with his sister. The Smith's parents left them a long time ago...but I'm not sure where they are. Kai and Nya did have some random old guy sometimes come and check on them along with Lloyd's mother. And apparently the government also offered them money for some reason.

But since they couldn't really get a high rent apartment I'm stuck with them as neighbours. Lucky me.

I brushed some of my dark frizzy hair out of my face as I treaded down the sidewalk. I stuck my hands in my jacket pockets and kicked some stones as I went along.

"Isla!" I screwed my eyes shut and began walking faster. But Kai's a bit of a jock and can run pretty quickly.

He grabbed my arm, forcing my attention on him.

"Yes?" I said with forced patience. I had already punched him before in freshman year and I got in major trouble by my Pops.

"Look I just wanted to say sorry for ruining your book." He said quickly. "I'll pay you back, I promise."

I scowled. "I don't need you to pay me back."

He frowned, shaking his head. "You know you've always confused me Isla James. You never take kindness when it walks up to you."

I barked out a laugh. "Kindness? Listen buddy, you are going to have to do a lot more than offer to pay for book damages to impress me."

I opened the door to the apartment and made no move to hold it open for him. I stomped up the stairs, because the elevator was out of order again and fumbled quickly for my keys.

Kai watched me silently as he twisted his own into the lock. "Well...think about it okay?" He said finally.

I gave him a small wave of acknowledgement before I slammed the door.

"Isla? Is that you?"

"Right here Pops!" I entered the kitchen, Aunt Helen must be at work because Pops was home.

Both my brother Leif and I were adopted by Pops and who used to be our dad. But then Dad cheated on Pops when Leif was only two and left us. Pops took it well but I could tell being a single parent wore on him. Aunt Helen, Pops's sister helped out a lot but both Leif and I had to mature a lot faster.

I had to move up to a big sister, look after Leif, take care of things.

Leif had to lose a little bit of his innocence, he knew not to ask for certain things. Sometimes it made Pops sad just how understanding we were. Sometimes is made Pops sad that he couldn't always give us special things. But he made sure to set aside time for game nights. Sometimes we could get icecream. Sometimes we could get something extra on holidays.

Our apartment was small, the kitchenette barely big enough for an amazing chef like my father. He worked as a cook at the restaurant downtown Rosegold.

Leif was colouring in the old notebook Pops gave him. It was Pops' when he was a boy and Leif loved it.

"Hey buddy!" I'm not a people person. I don't like opening up to people or showing weakness, but for Leif I'll do anything.

I smiled brightly and ruffled his shaggy brown hair. We didn't look like siblings since we weren't by blood. My skin was dark whereas his was more of a pinkish tone. He had bright hazel eyes and dimples while I had a plane brown tone.

"How was school?" Pops asked the cliche parent question from where he was cooking a stir fry.

I snagged a piece of Leif's Apple slices. "It was okay." I shrugged. "It's school." I set my things neatly in the small closet before placing my book bag on the bar counter.

Pops brows furrowed. He pointed into me half open bag. "Is that your copy of Stargazer?"

I quickly closed it. "It's an old book from the library I borrowed." I fibbed.

He nodded like he believed me but his eyes kept trailing back to the bag. I sling it over my shoulder.

"I have to do some homework." I announced.

"Okay, but I have to go in a half an hour. Can you watch Leif? Aunt Helen won't be back until later tonight." Pops wiped his hands on the towel. He didn't look,like the typical dad. He was tall and broad shouldered, he worked out at the gym since it was free on Sunday's and was bits of stubble on his chin. His hair was a dirty blonde, far different from my own dark curly hair. But I loved him so much.

He's calm, rarely raises his voice, serious sometimes, kind, and has a good sense of humour. But when Dad left the light died from his eyes. He wasn't as happy. I tried all I could but as Aunt Helen says it may only take another half to out him back together again.

These thoughts in my mind as I placed my textbook on the desk I found when thrifting. After a few minutes I got little work done, Pops kissed me on the head before leaving and Leif set himself up with some toys to keep himself busy until I came around to spend time with him. After a little dinner I went back in hope pyjamas and food would get me working again.

I tried hard to write down the figures and do the sums but my brain seemed to be distracted. Finally I put down my pencil and shoved open my window. I stepped out onto the fire escape and leaned over the railing. The sky was starting to get darker, not by much but enough and the air was cool. I felt a small wind blow through my hair as I just watched and listened to the cars going by. It wasn't much of a view from the fire escape, just some brush and pavement and the wall of the building beside us.

I heard the sound of a window opening and the sound of feet dropping into the metal platform.

"What are you doing out here?"

It was Kai. He had a thing for bothering me whenever I didn't want to talk. Which was most of the time. I turned my head to look him over. He had changed from his usual red jacket into some sweats and a hoodie.

"I don't know, just enjoying the peace while Garmadon isn't attacking." I shrugged. "To be honest I would prefer that right now." I muttered under my breath.

Kai shook his head. "Are you still mad about the book? I said I could pay you."

"I already told you Smith I don't want your filthy money." I snapped.

Kai rolled his eyes and steadied the ground as he leaned on the rail.

"Why are girls so snappish? Sometimes Nya is super chill and other times she's does all but bite my head off."

"Tell her thank you when she gets to that point. She'll be doing us all a favour." I smirked.

"Hilarious." He retorted dryly.

I listened for a second. "No party tonight Kai? You're not doing a giant at video game session with the guys?"

He furrowed his brow. "How do you know we do video games today?"

" I live in the apartment beside you Kai, you're not that quiet. The whole complex must hear your screeches. And by the way, you scream like a girl." I raised an eyebrow.

"I do not!" He protested.

"Why? Is screaming like a girl a bad thing?" I challenged.

He opened his mouth than closed it again. "Is this a trick questions?"

"Goodnight Kai." I rolled my eyes and turned back to my window, clambering in.

"Hey James?"

I leaned out. "What?"

"Nice princess peach pyjama bottoms." My jaw dropped when he gave me a triumphant smirk and disappeared inside.

I fumed and slammed the window shut. I had forgotten I had on my pyjamas. And yes, they were princess peach bottoms with my black John Lennon over sized tee.

I lay back on my bed, my thoughts whirling.

I'm definitely not getting any homework done today.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro