4 - The Deal

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Reason Why I Hate Kai #4 : He's convincing.

"Hey Moron." I greeted Jay. He was trying to play on his DS inconspicuously under the desk.

"Hi Isla." He glanced up as his thumbs whipped around swiftly.

"thank you Jay." Our teacher plucked the device from my his hands as he walked by. Jay's cheeks went red and he slid down in his seat.

"We'll be starting our next lab today so everyone get out what they need." He called out.

I took one of the goggles Siena was passing around and handed another to Jay.

Jay pulled it over his head but it snapped him hard in the face when he released the goggles to far from his head.

"Ow." He winced.

I shook my head.

We carefully listened to the instructions before getting to work. "So, what's your hypothesis?" I asked.

He squinted at the beaker. "I think it's going to separate when we add the vinegar."

I shrugged and wrote it down. We were nearing the end of the class when Kai approached me.

"Hey Isla." He stuck his hands in his pockets. "Can we talk?"

"Sounds serious." I mused.

"I am serious, come on." Kai gave me a look.

I rolled my eyes. "Sheesh." I muttered before I stepped with him to the side of the class.

"So I failed my test in algebra yesterday." He said uncomfortably. "And Ms. Brown said I can't fail another one or it's going to have an effect on my mark, especially if I don't make it last midterms."

"So?" I raised an eyebrow.

"She...said you have the best average in class and I should come to you for tutoring." He muttered.

"So?"

"So can you be my tutor?" Kai asked, his lips pressed in a line.

"What? No!" I protested. "Can't you ask Siena or something?"

"Siena?" He blinked confused.

"You know the blonde girl sitting right behind Cole...never mind." I was flustered. "Look I can't tutor you Kai."

"Why not?" He demanded. "Is it because you don't like me?"

"It's not like you like me either! You put ants in my clothes freshman year!" I retorted. "Anyway, it's not about that it's just....I can't." I said blandly.

"Why?"

Because I don't want to be caught tutoring you doofus.

"Look, I'll pay you." He offered.

I glared at him.

"Right, you don't like that." Kai ran his hand through his hair, only making it more wild. "I'll...I don't know."

"Look Kai, I gotta help Jay before he sets his eyebrows on fire again." I said starting to step away.

Suddenly Harry appeared beside me. "Hi Isla," he furrowed his brow when he saw Kai. "Kai...? Anyway, I was wondering what I should get your brother for his birthday."

"Anything with the fire ninja on it." I said tiredly. "That's his favourite."

"Great. Bye Kai." Harry left, giving Kai a funny look.

I began to walk away but Kai stepped in for the of me. "You have five seconds to move before I move you myself." I warned him.

"Your brothers a fire ninja fan?" He asked urgently.

"Yeah, so?"

Kai hesitated before blurting out. "I'll get him to go to your brothers birthday if you tutor me."

I paused at that. "You can't do that...right?"

Kai looked at me pleadingly. "I...he owes me a favour. Please?"

I hesitated. Leif's words echoed in my brain. I was never really able to get him anything good for his birthday before. We just didn't have the money. of course Kai could be lying. But if he wasn't....

"Fine!" I snapped. "But you better not be cheaping out on me with some fake dude form a party store."

"I won't, I promise." He said it so sincerely I almost believed him. Almost.

"Whatever." I muttered. "Just get red's butt at my brothers party."

I scribbled my contacts on a slip of paper and handed it to him. "I'll text you the party details. And if you want to be tutored it has to be tomorrow. It's movie night tonight."

"Deal." Kai agreed. He stuck out his hand.

I stared at it.

"Do you want to seal the deal or what?" He raised an eyebrow, his smile turning into a grin.

I narrowed my eyes and spat promptly in my palm, gripping his hand. He looked surprised at the action but shook it.

Our hands stayed together for a moment to long before I yanked my palm free.

"Tomorrow, four o'clock at my house. Don't be late." I avoided his gaze before turning and going back to where Jay was dumping his water bottle on his eyebrows.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro