18. Contemplation 'n' Conversations

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

DEDICATED TO: ShardaPandit4

"The tears rolling down my cheek aren't mere droplets of saline water; they represent the deepest part of my heart that I concealed from everyone, but you."

-Elegiac_Damsel

_______

14th July

Third person's point of view:

It had been 7 days since Agastya's surgery. He had been discharged two days ago and Anindita had taken an appointment at the Out Patient Department in order to get his post-surgery reports checked. Since her father had been advised rest, she drove herself to the hospital.

As she just had to get the reports checked, the receptionist had given her the last appointment for the day. It was 9 p.m. and the waiting area was mostly deserted. The door to Satyaki's cabin opened and the same man who Anindita had seen the last time exited. She stood up abruptly and pretending that she did not notice him, she made her way into Satyaki's chamber.

"I am here with Baba's reports." she stated 

Satyaki raised his eyebrows a bit. She appeared to be in a flustered state for some reason and had not even bothered to greet him.

"Take a seat, Anindita." he replied briefly

She took her seat and handed him the reports wordlessly. Satyaki skimmed through the sheaf of papers.

"May I ask you something that isn't related to Baba or his health?" Anindita asked him after a while

"I have time to spare. Go ahead."

"The man who exited the cabin right before I entered; has anything happened to him? Why was he here?" 

"Nothing has happened to him. He is not even a patient. In fact he is a manager of a pharmaceutical company. He had come here in order to invite me to a seminar. You know him?"

Anindita's eyes widened, "No! How can he be a manager? He is supposed to be a fully qualified engineer! His name is Kabir right? Kabir Sharma?"

"Yes, but I know nothing personal about him. I had no idea that he is an engineer. Your batch mate?"

"Yes. In fact his twin sister was my best friend, but the two of us were much closer. Actually we were the only two in our group of 7 who weren't in a relationship, so naturally we found ourselves spending more time together when the others would ditch us." Anindita spoke, her eyes a bit dazed as she reminisced the good old days. Those memories were priceless and so special! She could remember betting on petty matters and then treating one another with coffee or tea. She was reminded of the conversations that they would have diligently with friends, sitting by Powai Lake. Her features softened and her lips eased into a smile as she remembered the version of Kabir Sharma who would provide everyone with entertainment.

Satyaki had never come across this version of her. The current version of the woman was serious and too mature. Hearing her speak of college days, carefree times and happy ones seemed refreshing. He smiled a bit at the word 'ditch'; it sounded so alien given Anindita's usual vocabulary.

He took a quick glance at his wristwatch which showed the time to be past 9.10 p.m.

"Anindita, don't get me wrong, but we should get done with the medical part of things and we can talk outside. The O.P.D. staff have to return home, so."

"I am so sorry, Satyaki. I got carried away while talking. Back to business then!" she replied, apologetically

"Coming to the scan taken post-surgery, there is nothing to worry about here. As for the Nerve Control Velocity test, I am afraid his right limbs are mostly immobile. There is barely any sensation. This is acute hemiplegia, Anindita. You can obviously continue with the physiotherapy of course." he stated without any preamble

Anindita simply nodded, not trusting her voice enough. It took her a couple of minutes to absorb it all.

"Well then. Thank you, doctor. I'll take your leave." she said, standing up from her seat

"If you could wait a couple of minutes, I would be along. I am going home now as well." Satyaki told Anindita and the latter nodded in acknowledgement, "I'll wait by the elevator."

The two of them made their way to the parking lot of the hospital. There weren't many cars or people there as it was a Saturday and quite late for the O.P.D. patients.

"How have things been for you lately?" Satyaki asked Anindita, leaning against the bonnet of his car

"Well things have honestly been stressful, but I am somewhat relieved that the surgery went alright." she replied in all honesty

"You seem to be managing alright though?"

Anindita shook her head, smiling, "If you ask me in general, then I'd say not. The financial part of it is just too much to bear sometimes and then the health factor when it comes to my parents of course."

"Facing trouble at work or something? I know the mammoth amount that hospitals like ours charge, so..." he replied, guiltily

"Actually, my payment for a few flights has been delayed. As soon as the amount is credited to my account, I'll be able to reimburse the amount due on my credit card. Anyways, this is just a phase that will hopefully pass soon. In any case, I have faced worse"

Satyaki nodded, "You have a somewhat optimistic outlook towards everything."

Anindita laughed at his statement, "If you have been in the absolute lows of your life, it is easier to be optimistic about everything. The only way from the basement is skywards."

"Isn't as easy as you make it sound. I have had my fair share of lows, so I can understand your point of view." Satyaki muttered, his voice quivering slightly

Anindita smiled wistfully, "I wish you would share your life's story with me."

"I believe I already did. I don't go about telling any random person around that I am a widower whose wife died in an accident and that I am a single parent who is worried about his daughter all the time." he replied, raising his eyebrows

"That isn't your life's story! It won't be sharing my life's story if I share what happened to me. Your life's story is all about overcoming it all. What transpires after is your life. For example, I know what you have been through, but I haven't any idea about what you are going through. Memories hurt more than the actual incidence sometimes." she finished, looking straight at Satyaki

He inhaled deeply and his Adam's apple bobbed slightly at the intake of air, "I barely know your story. Let me know your story a bit. You mentioned facing worse; mind elaborating?"

Anindita crossed her arms, "No, I don't mind elaborating. It is nothing extraordinary though, because I was simply talking about a financially low part in my life. I wasn't the only person who faced that phase though. I used to be an employee of Jet Airways before Emirates. Everyone knows how the company went bankrupt and all that... I faced the same. Didn't receive pay for 6 months and then abruptly lost my job."

Satyaki was shocked. He could make out how much Anindita had to pay for her parents' treatment weekly and to think of a situation when she was practically struggling with her job and employment while managing the finance at home, was honestly commendable.

"I don't know what to say. The situation must have been tough!"

"Believe it or not, my sister got married sometime during the 6 months I received no payment. She did not know anything about this obviously."

"Damn! That is brave of you. Getting a girl married in India isn't a piece of cake." Satyaki commented

"I had actually wanted to postpone the wedding, but the boy's grandmother was against it because apparently postponing an auspicious occasion is a bad omen! They were North Indians and the pre-wedding ceremonies were so very elaborate and expensive! We had two kinds of weddings for them; a Bengali one and another one. Fortunately, the boys' side paid for the other wedding or else it would have clearly overshot my budget and exhausted all savings!" she confessed

"Happens. By the way, I didn't know you could talk this much." Satyaki stated bluntly

Anindita flushed a bit, "I am not a very earnest talker, but sometimes all the bundled up stuff needs to be let out in the air."

A brief silence followed after which Anindita found herself asking Satyaki, "May I ask you for your opinion regarding something?"

He nodded and the woman continued, "Given Ma and Baba's situation, I was contemplating on whether or not I ought to take early retirement from flying. At least I would be able to be home with them at the end of each day. What do you think? Should I?"

Satyaki was a bit flabbergasted at the question. Why would a 30 year old, able woman at the peak of her career, want to do this to her career and life? He could understand her concern about her parents, but then, this would be a haphazard and impractical thing to do.

"I cannot judge that Anindita. It's a decision that you have to take based on more than just situation driven contemplation. Why don't you employ a full time nurse and see once? I know your mother likes privacy, as you have previously mentioned, but then she has to see things from your point of view as well. And why are you looking forward to destroying your career this way?  The amount you may earn later will not be as much as you are earning now. That will push you to another ditch. Moreover, you have worked your way up here through a lot of hard work; why let it go down the drain?"

"Satyaki, I'll be very honest with you while answering this question. Everyone comes across a certain point in life when they find themselves asking this question, 'What more?' Given my situation, that bleak point in my life will be when my parents leave me. Frankly, there is little I have that I look forward to. I am genuinely lucky to have someone to return home to. I am blessed to have those two old and sick people at home. I somehow want to spend every bit that I get, with them. I want to keep them alive for longer, so that I don't have to live all alone. I have nothing I can do with a 'good career' after they are gone. I have a home which will shelter me till my last day, but I have little to look forward to. Earning more will seriously not make much of a difference." she confided

"I have wondered about this too. That 'What more?' moment! I am quite like you in this case. For me, the only purpose I have now, is to not die before ensuring that Dugga stands up on her feet." 

"Ever considered re-marriage?" Anindita asked, daringly, following a few seconds of quietude

Satyaki looked up at Anindita, visibly disturbed at the question, "No. I haven't. I cannot try experimenting with Agamani's life and mine that way. I have often thought about Dugga's life and mine after Ma leaves us; she is aging after all... I think I can manage living alone and raising her. Moreover I am very clear about one thing; Dugga will always be my only child. No woman would agree to this condition. I never would want her to grow up with half-siblings that would cause her to feel neglected or inferior given what she has been through. Then there are those instances and stories where the stepmother mistreats the child and all that! And another reason why I have never given re-marriage a thought is because I don't know if I will be doing justice to my wife and to the one I would marry."

"I understand your point of view. Agamani needs that special attention from you."

"Did you ever consider marriage?" Satyaki heard himself asking Anindita

"The last time I did, I hadn't turned 22." she replied in a firm yet plaintive tone, "See, we both are grown-ups. We both know that physical appeal is something that is considered essential in a marriage for reasons beyond just emotional companionship. I may see more in myself beyond my face, but I can't expect the same from everyone, right?"

"I am sorry. I think that was a wrong question to ask." Satyaki answered, a bit embarrassed 

Anindita took a quick glance at the time. It was 10 p.m. and she had forgotten that her home was about 30 kilometres away from where she was!

"Satyaki, I am afraid, I would have to leave. It is 10 and I am definitely not getting home before 11.30, courtesy the rains. I'll speak to you soon. Convey my regards to Agamani." she spoke

"Damn! Is it so late already? I am sorry, I shouldn't have held you up. You ought to get going now... I'll convey your regards to Dugga." he replied

Anindita got into the driver's seat of her car and turned the key in the ignition. Right before she drove away, she paused to confess to Satyaki, "It was me who held you up tonight by talking too much. You are the first person in years who I confided so much in. I haven't had such a conversation with anyone in years. Thank you for listening. It somehow made things a bit... lighter, maybe?"

The two of them smiled and parted ways. 

Just as a raging forest fire is extinguished by rain, pent up stress, negative thoughts and pain can be relieved of only by letting go. Opening up and sharing a fragment of their bundled up, not shared thoughts was an alien activity that both were not used to, but in a way, it had helped two pained and lonely souls connect; paving way to a friendship that would assuage the remnants of the bitter quondam.

To be continued...

PUBLISHED ON: 2nd June 2020

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
I AM TAKING A SMALL BREAK FROM WRITING THIS STORY. I SHALL UPDATE NEXT BY THE LAST WEEK OF JUNE, IF NOT SOONER.
TILL THEN, ALL OF YOU PLEASE STAY SAFE AND TAKE CARE.

PLEASE DO READ MRINALINI TILL THEN. IT IS MY THIRD BOOK AND A SINCERE ATTEMPT ON MY PART.

Yours sincerely,
Shubhadittya

P.S. CYCLONE NISARGA IS SUPPOSED TO MAKE LANDFALL TOMORROW. MAHARASHTRA AND GUJARAT ARE ON ALERT. PLEASE DO PRAY FOR ALL OF US. PRAY FOR MINIMAL DAMAGE TO BE CAUSED. May us all survive to see better days that await us in the near future.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro