Font size
Chiều cao dòng

DEDICATED TO: Priyadarshini2001,HARINIGANESH8 and thegirlnextdoor7781

"Beauty is power. A smile is its sword." 

- John Ray

_______

4th May

Anindita's p.o.v.:

The car pulled up at Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport, Terminal 2. The car was obviously company sponsored so I didn't have to pay any fare. I simply handed over some money as tips to the chauffeur for his help and then proceeded to walk to entrance gate number 5. 

The security at the gate smiled at me and I reciprocated. They checked my ID and Passport and let me go my way. They were familiar with me as I fly fairly often, usually at this time. Another reason being my 'matchless' face. I made my way to the computerized check-in kiosk in the Emirates pilot's lounge. The flight details, weather conditions, in-flight crew information and the number of passengers travelling to Dubai and then onward to New York City were available for me to check. Skimming my eyes over the secondary details, I carefully analyzed the weather conditions. Wind direction- North-West. Clear weather conditions with slightly overcast skies near the Atlantic Ocean. Biting my lower lip, something I do when I am in deep thought, I checked out the possible flight trajectories. The flight trajectory from Mumbai to Dubai is pretty straightforward but there have to be changes in the route from Dubai to New York city as all flights bound to or from United States have been asked to steer clear of Iran's airspace. This actually meant a longer flight path!

Having scrutinized the situation fairly well, I took a printout of the flight route and headed towards security check. This was my 7th flight after the dreaded COVID-19 lock-down and by the looks of things around, it was perceptible that thousands were commuting by air for the first time, after quite a few weeks. Most of the flights I had flown during the pandemic was for ferrying migrant labourers.

Being a part of the crew gave me the privilege of skipping lines and going for checking but there were many passengers who began requesting me to let them go before as they were late for their flights. I complied and stood in queue for about 10 minutes after which I put my carry-on luggage and strolley on the conveyor belt for X-ray. 

I was taking off my blazer and steel band watch when I felt a little boy of around 5 years of age looking at me curiously.  I know what he was trying to see. I know and I understand that he had no clue why I looked different. His gaze was neither offending nor insulting in any way. Rather, it was quite observant and innocent. His eyes met mine and he looked away immediately. I smiled to myself as he clutched his mother's hand and accompanied her to the frisking cubicle. I put my things in the tray and walked to the adjacent cubicle for frisking. 

When I walked out, the same child was standing in a corner nearby, most probably waiting for his mother to get their luggage. I smiled at him when I caught him staring again. He didn't return my smile. Instead, the curious cat turned to the other side, his ears turning red. Poor boy, although young and oblivious to the more complicated things in the world, he had been smart enough to notice something amiss. He must have thought I am in pain and that I wouldn't smile at him!

I waved at him once I had collected all my belongings and walked over to the bureau of immigration and this time he returned a small smile in reply. 

The immigration officer stamped on my passport fairly hard and permitted me to proceed. 

It was already 5.00 a.m. by the time I reached the boarding gate. The security official here checked my ID card and passport with immigration stamp again and gave me the green signal to board the flight. I met the cabin crew members and the first officer for the flight and we introduced ourselves. The two of us pilots went off to check the cockpit and the first officer began testing the controls and equipment. Meanwhile, I checked the report  which the previous captain had signed. All flight operations seemed to be in order and there had been no irregularities faced. The ATC checked the communication system and gave me clearance for the chosen flight trajectory. 

By the time it was 5.30 a.m., everything had been checked and I signed the flight release, a document attesting that the crew is fit and that the pilots have reviewed the flight information. This prompted the crew members to start letting all passengers board. It was 6.15, by the time all passengers had boarded. While we were preparing for takeoff, the Air Traffic Control (A.T.C.) gave us an up-to-date weather report and the passenger count and the ground staff on board handed a pre-departure clearance form. 

At 6:30, I announced, "Boarding completed. Ground staff kindly evacuate cabin. Cabin crew close all doors. We are now ready for takeoff."

We pushed back at 6.35 and the flight started moving towards the main runway. Just before joining the queue of flights for take off, 

"Cabin crew into your seats for take off."

The lights were dimmed and the head purser informed us that all was clear for taking off. Right after an Air India flight landed, we were given clearance for taking off.

"This is the Captain of flight EK 507 travelling from Mumbai to Dubai. We are now ready for take off. Is the runway clear?"  I asked the ATC who reported that all was clear

Since the flight is an Airbus a380, the speed for take off is fairly higher. The first officer and I checked for the green signal from the ground staff and then nodding to one another, we started accelerating. The flight gained velocity and the the first officer let me know that we had reached V1( Velocity 1). We accelerated further and the flight was now rolling off the tarmac on the main runway.

"V2!" (Velocity 2: take off cannot be abandoned after reaching this magnitude of velocity)

I pulled the lever and the flight took off towards the sky. A crushing feeling greeted my chest as was normal due to the upward thrust that the flight experienced. An old place awaited us; but the journey was still as beautiful and new as could be.

DUBAI

The flight just landed in Dubai. Most of the passengers are travelling onward to New York hence we stopped just for an hour for the other passengers. 

Flight EK 201 from DXB to JFK (John F Kennedy International Airport, New York ) departed from Dubai at 8.30 a.m. local time.

The Captain is always expected to speak to the passengers once the flight has departed. Hence, 2 hours into the 14 hour flight, I decided to interrupt the in-flight entertainment session of all the passengers on board.

"Good morning ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. This is the Captain speaking. Firstly, all of us here at Emirates would like to thank you for choosing to fly with us. Here's hoping that all of you are comfortable on the flight and are doing well. The flying time to New York is 14 hours from Dubai of which we have already covered 2 hours. We are currently flying at an altitude of 41000 feet and the ground speed is  138 knots. The weather outside is pretty clear and as of now, there is no report of weather disturbances ahead. The temperature outside currently is -42 degree Celsius. The flight is currently half an hour behind schedule and the expected time of arrival is at 15:25 hours EST. Once again, thank you ladies and gentlemen for choosing us. Have a pleasant flight ahead and remember that every cloud has a silver lining. Always believe that something wonderful is going to happen."

I love communicating with all those who fly with me. Flying comes as second nature to me and it gives me happiness as it does all the people who like exploring new destinations.

3 hours later

I exited the cockpit to use the washroom and stretch my legs a bit. The premium economy seats were located right near the cockpit. Several passengers looked up at the intrusion when I walked out of the cockpit. A few kids looked at me in awe and I smiled at them. The older people who were working on their laptops took a glance at me and returned back to their work. This is the kind of scenario I am always greeted with. Coming from a lower middle class family, I had not traveled by air before graduating as a fully qualified pilot. I would stare at flights in wonder when they flew over my house and pilots were people who I really looked up to. The kids had the same kind of look on their faces that I used to have: Of awe, wonder and admiration.

8 hours later

We were just beginning our descent when the A.T.C. reported turbulence ahead. The flight shook violently as the gust of wind hit us.

Since we were caught by surprise and the impact had been underestimated, we lost some altitude. I activated the seat belt sign and instructed the cabin crew to stall all in-flight services and to get back to their seats. The overcast skies that we had been informed of had given way to humid weather and it had begun raining. 

We had almost an hour more to landing and since the situation seemed to be under control, the first officer and I consulted one another and decided to go ahead as planned. We had just enough fuel to land owing to the long trajectory that we had to take.  We started decelerating and losing altitude gradually. A few more gusts of wind caused the flight to shake more. 

"Captain, the wind just changed direction and it might begin raining anytime soon. Are you sure you want to land now?"

"Any lightning or thunder perceptible in the sky?" I spoke into the radio

"None as of now. If you do not want to land right now, you can divert to La Guardia."

Diversions were something I detested personally as a flyer. Moreover I know how inconvenient it might be for all flyers. I had to take a quick call and it had to be now.

"We'll go ahead with the landing as planned. There is enough fuel for landing. If we divert to La Guardia, we'll lose time and would also have to wait for re-fueling. Since there is no lightning yet, we'll land."

The A.T.C. gave us clearance and I instructed the cabin crew to remain in their seats for landing. It took us a while to land in quite a bumpy fashion due to air resistance and rain. 

But we landed, that too safely and that was all I could ask for.

Once the flight was parked in place, I stood up from my place to stretch a bit. The ground staff connected an aero-bridge and I signed the report stating that the flight was functioning well. A sudden fatigue overcame me when I took my strolley from the luggage cabin. It was the aftermath of almost 18 hours of flying that always came to my notice after landing.
When I was walking out of the door, a few kids thanked me for a safe landing. This isn't uncommon. Several parents do get their children to practice this. I smiled and replied to them and one kid asked me innocently if I had to study in order to 'drive an airplane'. His mother apologized obviously embarrassed but I simply patted the kid's head in response. The poor child had no idea how much we need to study!

I was about to walk off towards the arrivals hall when someone called out to me, "Excuse me Captain!"

I turned.

It was a middle-aged Indian man. He was lean and very slightly muscular. His mop of black hair with slightly greying strands here and there had been brushed back and were slightly tousled from the long flight journey. From his appearance, I could decipher that he was definitely respectable and dignified. He had rimless spectacles on and he looked at me for quite  some time, almost like he was absorbing how I looked. He didn't look disgusted or even repulsed. On the contrary, he had a distant look on his face, almost like he recognized me from somewhere or like he was reminded of someone. His eyes were dazed.

"Yes Sir?" I asked him politely

"Thank you. Thank you for the safe landing. I was genuinely shaken when we had been losing altitude rapidly."

I smiled, "Are you afraid of heights or flying Sir?"

He shook his head in negation,
"I am afraid of dying."

My face scrunched up visibly due to the unexpected reply that I got from this man. 

Sensing my confusion he clarified, "I meant I am a bit wary of accidents. I don't want to be mourned."

Although, his words were vague I could deduce the hidden meaning. I felt my lips curve upwards into a small smile as I replied, "You have loved ones who need you. You don't want them to lose you."

He nodded in affirmation.

"I hope they never lose you."

"Thank you... Ms. Mukherjee" he replied reading my name badge

"If you'll excuse me, I need to be on my way, Sir." I told him courteously, with a smile and walked away, pulling my strolley behind me.

To be continued...

A/N

Hello everyone! Thank you for giving this a read if you did. I am genuinely thankful to you for sparing Anindita's story your time.

I hope all of you are safe in the vicinity of your home. Take care and here's to better days in the future.

I would also like to elucidate once about the story. This story is purely and truly my imagination. I do not wish to hurt anyone's sentiments in any way, intentionally or unintentionally. Please vote, comment and share if you feel the story deserves your love.

Yours sincerely,

Shubhadittya :)

PUBLISHED ON:  31st March 2020

P.S. I AM PUBLISHING THE CHAPTER WITH THE GIVEN DATE WITH THE HOPE THAT THINGS RETURN BACK TO NORMAL THEN.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro