37. HER CROWN

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

CROWN PRINCESS LYRA BELLE DE ANEMOI

Chapter 37

Lyra pores through all the documents, ignoring all the stares on her and states,

"Instead of that, increase the import and decrease the export. Without increasing the taxes like this. Let me ask you. Every few weeks when we have a meeting like this, on every report you say to increase their taxes by 2-3%. While it seems like a small amount, do you know how much taxes you have imposed on them over the past years? Around 338%. That is not a normal amount. How do you expect your people to work for you when they cannot even afford to live? Reduce the taxes by 17%. And increase the taxes on luxury goods that are exported by 3%. Increase the number of imports by 20%. And decrease the number of exports by 5%. Only those goods will be exported which we cannot manufacture. If there is a thing that is not available here, that will be exported at a normal rate. However, those that are available but people still covet them since they are a luxury, place tax on them."

"..."

There was silence. Everyone glanced at Nabal and then at Lyra. Lyra's idea was technically speaking quite well planned out. However, following her would mean going against Nabal.

Nabal in return remarked,

"Let me get this straight. How do you suppose we are to increase our imports?"

"By developing more factories and producing more goods."

"That is not possible. There is no money."

"Actually as a matter of fact. There is money for it. We can set up around five more factories using the money which you are using to build those Royal Parlour houses for noble women to just sit around and gossip."

"We can't use that budget!"

"We will face a backlash from the aristocrats."

"That is not possible. Those houses are a place for women to sit and relax and be themselves without any worry."

"Besides, they will pay for their food there so we will get more money in return. It is a good business idea."

"It is a pathetic one. Any idea that does no good to our kingdom is pathetic."

Lyra interrupted the people who were protesting against her idea.

"I will handle that matter and the backlash myself. Just transfer the budget and set up the factories of five basic goods which we are lacking. Figure out a way to make high-quality goods with fewer expenses."

Those that were with Lyra's faction bowed to her orders while the others looked for Nabal for confirmation. Nabal was quiet as if he was planning something. He then smiled,

"Brilliant! My niece is so intelligent. Let us go with that. Don't care about all the backlash from all the nobles who were looking forward to these houses. As Lyra said, she will handle all the backlash and the blame so everyone rest assured and go ahead with this plan."

Lyra knew that he went along with it because he knows those women will be furious after hearing about it. But not to worry. She also has something up her sleeves.

Smiling back, she replies,

"Perfect. Then carry on with your reports."

That day, Lyra went against all of Nabal's orders and pointed out mistakes in their reports. Very rarely she would agree with Nabal's suggestion since she knew it would hurt his reputation in the end therefore she let him do as he pleases.

After the meeting ended, Lyra had her meeting in her office with the close people of her faction.

"Turn these properties into a recreational area for women. Regardless of women's status, they can come here and learn."

"Learn?"

"I have a question. The women belonging to the noble faction will hate to sit with other women."

"I also have another question. How would you propose that this could work as a replacement for the tea houses that they were originally supposed to build for the noble women?"

Lyra takes a deep breath and explains,

"Firstly, I am not stopping them from resting. I wish this place to be where they can learn about whatever they want. Teachers will be provided to them. If they wish to relax, there will be a cafe for them. Now as for the status division. I understand how people's mindset work. However, I fail to see any point in that. I will not put a label nor place any discrimination."

"If it eases your worries, there are three of these properties. One belongs to the noble's neighborhood, one is in the local's neighborhood and the last one is near the government offices. Therefore, even if we do not place any restrictions, people are bound to gather together and go into the house which is nearby them. This will naturally create a status gap without us having to do anything."

"I still hate that idea but if it helps not hurt those nobles' ego then so be it."

Lyra swayed her hand as if she did not care for it.

She then took Katherine and Solon with her as she went for surprise rounds at different departments. A lot was messed up at those places.

She decided to fix one department at a time. Nabal was surprisingly keeping quiet about all of this. He deemed it as just one of Lyra's phases which she will get over in a few days and everything will return.

However, Lyra took this opportunity to push forward. Even though she had promised to reveal herself to the public later on, she decided to go ahead with it now. She goes straight to the complaint office where people had come.

As soon as the carriage stopped, people were in awe. All they had seen was Medea and her family using this carriage. But neither of their family members had ever dared to come to this place. They wondered who it may be when a man announced,

"Entering, Her Highness, Crown Princess Lyra Belle de Anemoi."

At hearing the announcement, everyone's eyes went wide. Most of them were aware that she would visit under the disguise of 'Belle', however, none of them thought that she would reveal herself to the public like this. And more importantly, one thing that attracted everyone's attention was that shiny thing on her head. One that they hadn't seen anyone wear for over seven years now. One that proved her authority and no matter how much Karen and Medea wanted, they could not wear it. One that was evidence that she was a Crown Princess. And this was her Crown.

CROWN PRINCESS LYRA BELLE DE ANEMOI

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro