Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

As I was walking back to the Headquarters, I decided to take my own advice. Vir and I were paired up for a reason, maybe I could help him somehow. Since I was the Junior Personal Assistant Alpha's Office anyway, I figured I could best start there. Instead of slacking and just reading cliche chicklits, maybe I could gradually improve my knowledge by actually working.
I proposed the idea to Betty, and with her signature motherly smile, she agreed with me. "I have a lot of files here that I need to read and summarize. Because you are still new at it, I will check whether you do it correctly this time. If I'm satisfied with your work, you can do it on your own next time." She handed me the first file, which was an extensive report on 'Sapientiae population, immigration and urbanisation.' I forced a smile. It sounded like something I would hate.
"So what do I do?"
Betty pointed to the other desk. "You can sit there. Dictionary, pen, paper and markers are on your left. Summarize the report on paper, then make a neat version with the typewriter." She saw my baffled expression. "You wouldn't believe how many people would like to get a hand on these files. We can't trust anyone, not even previous Alphas, so if after the Alpha Trials a new man or woman is appointed as Alpha, all technology goes out the window, and new software is installed. It's just that Vir has been so incredibly busy lately, that no one has had the time to ensure properly installed software. So until then, we work on typewriters for important documents." She giggled - which sounded quite weird, by the way, considering her age - and added something. "And maybe one of my tasks is to digitalise old files from the archive, but I haven't been able to do that yet."
I nodded in understanding. "Okay, I'll just get to work."
It wasn't particularly enjoying to do this, but at least I learned a lot about the Sapientiae pack members. If I was supposed to be the Luna of this pack someday, I would at least need to know this, right? 90% of the people lived in the capital city. Only elderly, retired pack members lived in the countryside. Because of this, Sapientiae Pack was one of the smallest packs on the continent.
For the past few years, I wrote down, more and more people have been immigrating into Sapientiae, all the while less pack members failed to pass the Intelligence Test. This caused a population increase of 4.2% over the past 7 years.
I sighed and rested my head on the desk. After working on it for three full hours, I was proud to say I was almost done with scribbling down notes. I would only need about two more hours to finish the neat version on the typewriter - if I managed to figure out how to work with it, that is.
"You can take a break, darling," said Betty. "I think Vir is expecting you anyway."
I stood up and thanked her before going up to the top floor. I shook my head from left to right quickly to wake myself up. Doing intelligent stuff exhausted my brain.

When I entered Vir's office, he was standing in front of the window, his back towards me. Shaking my head at the complete absence of his fashion sense - he wore a tad bit too short khaki pants and a way too big plain grey shirt, combined with a vertically black-and-green striped vest - I felt myself relax at the sight of him. Just his presence was enough to make me feel the effects of our bond. He hadn't noticed me yet, so I walked up to him
"Hey," I said softly, my hand brushing his arm.
He jolted and turned around in fright, only to jam his elbow into my face.
"Ow!" I hissed, immediately putting my hand against my sore eye, rubbing it to ease the pain.
Vir breathed quickly, as if in a panic. "I-I-I'm s-s-o sorry," his eyes were big, "I d-didn't m-m-mean t-to. S-s-sorry, I don't kn-know what h-happen-ned."
I shushed him gently. "It's okay, it's just going to be bruised for a bit I think." I grimaced. "You have a strong right hook," I tried to joke.
Vir didn't appreciate it, as he only appeared more nervous. "L-let m-me take a-a-a l-look?" He asked. "I h-have a medical d-deg-gree."
I nodded, and reluctantly removed my hand from my pulsating eye. With trembling fingers, he gently prodded the skin.
Tiny electric sparks erupted wherever he touched, effectively relieving the sharp pain I felt. Still, I hissed in pain when he brushed over a particularly painful point.
"I don't think anything is broken." Vir slipped into professional mode again, his face turning stoic. "It will probably bruise, though. You'll walk around with a black eye for some time. I'm sorry."
"It's okay," I reassured him by touching his arm briefly. "I heal quickly. Still, want to kiss it better?"
Hey, a girl could try, right?
Seeing his cheeks flame up in red was all worth it. He stuttered again. "U-u-uhm I-I d-d-don't kno-o-ow."
I smiled, secretly kind of disappointed at his shy refusal. "Just kidding, Vir. Will you still hug me though?" 
He nodded slightly, and allowed me to put his arms around his waist. Pressing my good cheek to his chest, I shortly sighed in content. When he reluctantly closed his arms around me, he made my day, despite our unexpected boxing match.
When he eventually let go, his face looked distraught. He went with his hands trough his hair, not-so-gently pulling it. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry," he mumbled. I almost couldn't hear it, that's how soft he was whispering, but when he turned around, I swore he cursed at himself.
"I hit my mate, I hit my mate, I hit Livia."
"Vir, it's okay, I know you didn't mean it-"
"I hit her, I'm a bad person, I'm a bad person, I hit-"
"Vir." This time I slightly raised my voice. He turned around again, his cheeks flushed, him obviously distressed.
"You're fine, I know you didn't mean it. It was an accident. It's just a bruise, I will be fine in a day or two. Okay?" I spoke clearly, looking him deep into his eyes.
He nodded.
"Okay."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro