$12

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

My joints all hurt profusely during the few steps to the alleyway Theo led me to. Every step felt capable of being my last. It was as though my body was grudgingly giving me this victory in a way that was more of a threat against ever having another one.

But I had successfully let go of a little part of my dragon hoard! Not willingly, but that couldn't be helped.

Theo's face was grave.

He turned around suddenly. "Rose, are you sure you need to be here? We can just go home an call it a day. You paid for the cabbie. We can celebrate that. Safely. At home."

"We're doing this," I said, my existence refusing to let me consider the fact that I was feeling too weak for anything other than a ginger walk.

I forced myself to scuttle forwards so I could push him forwards. It hurt so bad, but it got my point across.

He nodded, moving forward.

"You're late," a voice, Leah's voice, rang out from the shadows.

Theo didn't say anything, his hand clamped around mine. I guess his fear must have replaced his guilt, but there was only one thought running through my head.

"Theo?" she said, sounding uncertain in the silence.

"I'm here," he said, his voice gruff and strange.

Leah was confident again. "What took you so long?"

Theo took a deep breath, and I stepped forwards, so we were both in the full light.

I heard a gasp from the alley. Leah stepped out from an indent in the wall I hadn't noticed before, her hair was a lot shorter than I remembered it, barely brushing her chin. She wore all black, giving the impression of the vigilante people in a dystopian society.

She gave Theo a weird look.

"Rosella, how nice to see you again."

I nodded. "Congratulations on your fiance. How's he?"

"He's fine."

She looked at Theo darkly, shifting so she was smiling at me again. "How come you decided to come," then she made a big show of pronouncing all the syllables, "Rosella?"

"Oh," I replied, a fake smile plastered on my face to mirror hers, "I just wanted to tag along. I hope I'm not interrupting anything."

"Oh, hardly."

Theo's hand was still around mine, but it seemed like he didn't want to stand too close to me. Just like he couldn't look at me in the coffee shop.

No one quite seemed like they knew how to proceed.

Leah looked between the two of us. She wanted me gone. I could see that plainly.

"Leah, Rose can tag along tonight," he moved slightly in front of me, "right?"

She stared at me, slightly uncomfortable. "How much does she know?"

Theo was quiet. "Everything that I could bring myself to tell her."

She looked at me, almost sweetly, other than how it sent shivers up my spine.

"Why?"

He drew himself up, and I could feel his breath starting to get angry. "Because I wanted to. She needed someone to tell her and I didn't want it to be anyone else."

"Why now?"

He squeezed my hand. "Because she already knew some things. I don't know how."

Leah stood stiffly. "Well, then. We're behind schedule. I think it's your turn tonight."

She started to move. Theo glanced at me.

"What's it your turn to do?"

His silence was enough of an answer.

"Theo..."

"Rose, I can't- I have to. I'm sorry."

He started to walk forwards, and I moved right with him.

"Theo..."

"Rosella, for the love of God, shut up back there."

I closed my mouth, following them to a street that looked fine enough, but empty. Cars were parked out by the street, the entire sidewalk occupied by them. A soft glow came from one of the restaurants, stairs leading down to it.

There was a concert there today. Once upon a time Theo and I probably would have been there.

A shape moved between the cars. A person.

Leah started talking, low and quick. "I heard some people talking about stealing some of the cars tonight. I think they ended up doing it. You know what to do."

"Leah..."

"Go. I have several patients that are expecting us today too. Let's get this done."

Theo turned and looked at me, his hand slipping out of mine. He closed his eyes and took his breath, and while it was fading into night, a greenish glow was still visible. I looked around to the windows. Had someone turned on a lamp?

Theo's face was still on mine, but it had a greenish tint to it.

Leah shoved a bottle into his hands and pushed him forwards. He stumbled, carrying himself into the middle of the street.

Leah stared on, cold.

He walked behind the person, who seemed to indeed be stealing a car. The person heard him and turned to hit Theo, but then something happened.

In an instant, there were three people standing there. Two theives and Theo. He was outmatched. I started to move forwards, but Leah caught my arm.

"Wait," she snapped.

The greenish glow touched everything then. Where was it coming from?

Theo held out the little device Leah'd given him, and the newcomer seemed to be green before wavering and disappearing completely. The original perpetrator stared blankly ahead. They didn't move.

Theo walked away, and they didn't run or chase him. I moved to try to get a closer look. What had just happened?

I caught the person's eye. It was a boy. Younger than me.

The eyes were empty. Like they'd once been a window to his soul, but just then they were a window to...

Oh. Oh. And the green was?

And Theo had?

I understood. Theo was walking towards me and I looked at him with a fear in my eyes. He stopped dead and I turned to run. No one stopped me.

"Rose," I heard Theo yell, but he didn't chase me.

I ran until I didn't know where I was. I was lost, but I was on a road. I sat down, staring at my shoes until a taxi happened by hours later.

I got in and told the driver to go back to my apartment.

I didn't have the strength to part with the money that was still in my pocket and I barely had the strength to get out of the taxi. I collapsed on my front steps, so the driver didn't have to do much to catch me.

"Miss," it was a woman, "I think you forgot to pay me."

A big, fat tear rolled down my face.

"I can't. I can't." My voice was starting to turn into a sob.

"Do you have money in your apartment? I can walk you up and you can get it for me."

I shook my head, streams of hot water coming.

"You don't."

I nodded that I did.

I pulled it out of my pocket so she could see, clutched it my hand, but didn't let go.

The woman took my hand and tried to pry my fingers open with no luck. Her hard fingers lost their gentleness.

I sobbed even more and I started to feel dizzy. My whole body was in exploding pain.

And that's how I ended up alone and unconscious outside my apartment without a cent on me. Or at least, I assume. I don't really remember.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro