Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

I joined Flint in his quarters with Gates and Billy, "I have some news for you all about the Urca," he said leaning back in his chair.

"Where is she?" Gates asked. 

"She has wrecked," he said. 

"Wrecked?" I asked leaning forward in my seat.

"She had another vessel after her too, but they damaged her she took on water and has now wrecked," he said. I tapped my fingers against the arm of the chair. 

"I wouldn't be surprised if someone else has found her spoils," Billy said. 

"That is what I am afraid of," Flint said. "When we reach the beach I need you all to be vigilant and keep the men in check, Tom and Billy I need you two to keep an eye on the men their temptation for greed will be too strong." We both nodded.

"What your captain is trying to tell you is fights may break out and we may need to split them up, keep everyone in check," Gates said. 

"We know," I said rolling my eyes.  

"Return to your posts," he said. We left his quarters, I walked to the galley grabbing a flask of water and a piece of bread and returned to the belly of the ship, Silver emerged from behind a crate. 

"I thought you had forgotten about me," he said. 

"Of course not," I replied handing out the water and bread, "this is my lot but I want you to have it." 

"You're too kind," he said and took it from me, he broke the bread in half and handed me the other piece, I gently took it and sat next to him leaning against the crate. 

"How did such a young lad become a pirate?" he asked. 

"It's a long story," I said and pulled my hat down over my face a bit more. 

"We have time, if I heard your captain right we won't be hitting the beach with the Urca for a couple of days," he smiled. 

"Well, I was born in London. My parents neglected me, so one night I snuck aboard the Walrus and haven't looked back since," I lied looking away, "how about you?" 

"Me? There's not much to tell," he said, I looked back and noticed his gaze was trained on the pendant around my neck. "That is an unusual pendant, is that seawater?" he reached towards it. 

"Don't touch it," I said and pushed his hand away. 

"Okay," he nodded taking his hand away. "Does Flint notice your absence?" 

"No, not all the time," I said. I sat with Silver till the night was upon us and the moonlight slipped through the grill in the ship. 

"You better return to the deck before you get into trouble," he said. 

"Mhm," I said drowsily agreeing.  

"I didn't expect one of Flints crew to be so kind," he said as I stood up stretching, "you all have a bad reputation for being ferocious." 

"I guess I'm just different," I said and walked back up the stairs. 

"Flints put you on night duty," Billy said walking past me retiring to his hammock no doubt. I sat on the side, resting my back against the timber, to my eyes the surface of the sea glowed and swirled, being this close to the sea it made the scales glow on my neck and wrists. I heard footsteps stomping up the steps, I pulled the collar of my coat up and pulled my sleeves down. My eyes landed on Silver. 

"You're brave being up this far," I said lighting my whalebone pipe. 

"I figured everyone was asleep, and I needed some air," he said walking closer to me. 

"If anyone comes, you go back into the belly of the ship," I told him. 

"Agreed," he said joining me on the side. 

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro