Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

We spoke with hushed voices as the ship rocked softly on the waves, I fiddled with the pendant around my neck the seawater glowing. "What are you going to do with your share?" he asked.

"I haven't decided yet," I said glancing up at the stars, "that's if I have a share I believe Flint will keep it all for himself."

"You seem to think so lowly about your captain," he said sitting on the steps next to me. I sighed and looked at him.

"You haven't sailed with us long enough to realise how weak he is, how many times he has promised us a prize but never delivered," I said. 

"I am sure I'll see it soon enough," he replied. Our conversation was suddenly interrupted by boot steps thudding on the deck headed towards us.

"Quick, hide," I said and Silver ran below deck. "Is my watch up?" Billy sat on the same steps as Silver.

"Almost, who were you talking to?" He asked.

"No one," I replied, "just talking to myself."

"Right, go get some sleep I'll take over the rest of your watch," he said. I nodded and I retreated to my hammock which is in a private room of its own, I had requested it a long time ago and Flint complied. When the sun poked through the slats in the timber the men were roused and hurried to their stations but I was left to rest. It was midday when Gates came to wake me up. He knocked on the door but I didn't move, he opened it slowly.

"Come on lad, I know you were on nights watch but Flint needs you on deck," he said. I said no more, got myself together and emerged onto the deck. I joined Flint at the wheel.

"Good afternoon," he said and slapped me on the back, "Billy tells me you were talking to someone last night."

"I don't know what he's talking about," I replied.

"Are you hiding something from me?" He asked, I shook my head. "Tom you always were a bad liar." Suddenly we heard a commotion on deck, we walked over to the edge and Billy pulled Silver by his collar into view. Flint looked at me, but I just looked down. "How long has he been on my ship?" I didn't answer. "Tom!"

"A few days," I replied.

"I am very disappointed in you," he growled and walked down the steps, Silver and I exchanged glances. "What are you doing on my ship?" Flint growled.

"I needed a place to hide, and before Tom could tell you you sailed from port," he said.

"Hide?" Flint growled.

"I had some bad people after me," Silver said and Flint looked up at me.

"You knew this?" He asked. I nodded. "Go help Randall in the galley, I'll deal with the stowaway," he ordered. I nodded and said no more, I thudded down the steps and Randall threw me a knife and a potato.

"You shouldn't lie to your captain," he said.

"I did what I had to," I said focusing on peeling the potato.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro