[16] Taken Aback

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Pauline's red heels made light clicking noises against the tiled floor of the school hallways. It was finally lunch time, and she planned on having her lunch outside of the "cruddy" school. Her red purse swung back and forth as it hung from her arm. She walked at a fast pace, but that pace began to slow down when her blue eyes caught her one true love...

She was about to call out his name to until she saw how angry he seemed. His eyes were full of what seemed to be disappointment, and his brows were very furrowed. This was unusual, so she decided to slowly follow him, to see what it was that he was going to do about his anger. Pauline was about to turn the corner until she heard the familiar high-pitched voice that made her green with envy every single time. She hid behind the cream brick wall and slowly poked her head out to see what exactly was going on, putting her hair slightly over her face to hide her identity, though anyone would be able to recognize her due to all the red she always wore.

"Hello, Mario!" Peach giggled lightly and twirled her blonde hair around her pale finger.

Mario rolled his eyes, which very much confused the princess since she was blinking. "Peach, I don't have time for your little games."

Peach was taken aback. She stuttered a bit, trying to speak. "E-eh, w-w-what? Games? Mario, what's up with you?"

"Peach, you're a cheat!" Mario pointed a finger at her, waving it as her blue eyes followed it.

Pauline's eyes widened as she covered her mouth. Oh my stars, he knows... She was trying her best not to celebrate, because she still wanted to listen to the rest of the amazing conversation. She breathed in, her eyes closed as they showed off her deep purple eyeshadow, then exhaled to reveal her eyes again.

"Mario, get to the point!" Peach lightly stomped her foot on the floor.

Mario put his hand down. "You added more slips with your name just so you could win the election! And don't you dare say no! There's proof, so you're screwed!"

Pauline sucked in some air. "Yikes, that hurts..." She glanced to the side, trying to imagine how she'd react if Mario spoke to her in such a harsh manner. She only found herself drooling over the fact that it would show his tough side, which was one thing she definitely admired of him. The way he could be a tough Italian made her feel--

"Mario, what are you talking about?!" Peach's voice cracked a bit, and she flinched when it did. Her eyes were watery as tears threatened to spill over her cheeks.

Mario face-palmed. "Don't act dumb with me, Princess! You know what you d--"

"SHUT UP!" Peach screamed, making Mario take a step back.

Pauline's eyes widened as her mouth formed an o-shape. She found herself trembling, and she noticed that Mario was feeling the same emotion since his ankles were shaking. She had never seen Peach so... angry! Sure, the princess looked like she wanted to slap Pauline every time they exchanged glances, but this was entirely different. Princess Peach looked like she wanted to rip Mario's throat out. Murder the junior on the spot!

"I-I can't believe you! Don't you h-hear the way you're s-speaking to me?!" The tears spilled, her mascara running down her now red cheeks. Peach wiped her eyes with the back of her arm, her teeth clenching. "You know what, Mario? NO! I won't go to Homecoming with you. You can go by yourself!"

WHACK! The sound of Peach's purse smacking Mario's face made the entire hallway pause, but more importantly, it froze Pauline's world. Hearing the sound of the purse connect with Mario's face was like a dream come true, because it meant that things between the two were over, and that it was finally her turn to swoon the Italian-American.

"Hey!" Pauline called out, acting as if she had only seen the assault. She pushed Peach back and quickly began to check Mario's face, gasping when she saw that Peach had cause a red mark. "What the hell is your problem, Toadstool?!"

Peach's eyes widened. "I-I didn't... I-I'm sorry I..." The princess seemed to realize what she was saying and shook her head. She put her purse over her shoulder, holding the golden chain tightly. "I'm not sorry, actually." She sniffled, her lips quivering. "I hate you both!" With that, she quickly spun around and walked away, her walk slowly becoming a run with her hair bouncing upon her back.

Pauline watched her go, fighting to hold back a sly smirk. She looked back at Mario and pouted. "You didn't deserve that, Mario. Not at all." She rubbed his cheek, only for him to slap her hand away.

"I'm fine, Pauline. Thanks anyway..."

Mario seemed hurt. Very hurt. Pauline bit her lip, unsure of whether to take Mario's hand or to just say some mushy words to make him feel better. To her surprise, she found her hand in his.

His touch made the hairs on her arms stand up. Pauline slowly looked up from their entwined hands to face the boy of her dreams.

Mario had a very small smile on his face as he stared at her. "I'm guessing it was you who caught Peach doing all of this?"

Pauline had to mentally yell at herself to reply. "Oh um, yeah. Yeah, I did..." She sighed sadly, glancing away. "I was taken aback when I caught her in the act. You'd expect better from--"

"A princess like her? I know. I'm pretty shocked too..." Mario sadly looked in the direction Peach ran off too. He looked back at Pauline, anyhow.

"Hey, you wanna have lunch together?" Pauline suddenly blurted out. She cursed herself. That was too quick.

"Maybe some other time, Pauline. Right now, my emotions are on a roller coaster, but definitely some other time," He told her softly as he slowly let go of her hand.

Pauline nodded. "I understand. See you around, Mario."

"See you..." Mario walked off to find his brother.

Pauline stood there, her cheeks rosy red. She touched the hand that he had taken and kissed it, sighing. "Oh Mario..." With that, Pauline walked out the school on such a happy mood. The girl was practically bouncing, making a tune with the clicking of her heels.

"I love this school!" She yelled out as she exited, receiving stares.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro