Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Mark and Ryan waited outside the department store, leaning against the brick wall. Mark checked his watch and sighed. "How long does it take to go clothes shopping?"

Ryan chuckled. "Keep in mind, Jack does only have one outfit right now. Matt's probably buying him a while wardrobe in there."

"He can just borrow mine."

"Do you really think your clothes can fit his small figure?" Mark was silent. "Exactly. That's why we're here, buying him clothes."

Mark glanced around at the people on the sidewalks. "I just don't think we should've done this today."

"Relax, Mark. Everything will be fine. There's no need to worry."

Mark took a deep breath. "You're right. I'm sorry. I'm just-"

"Protective?"

"Yeah. I don't want anything to happen to him. He's already gone through so much. I don't want anyone causing him trouble. Being away from the lab is supposed to be a good thing."

"Aw, Mark, you don't have to worry about me!"

Mark turned around, eyeing Jack. He had to admit, Jack looked much better in the clothes he picked out- they suited his personality more. He was wearing black, ripped skinny jeans, a maroon V-neck shirt, a black beanie, and black high tops. He carried two bags full of clothes, smiling.

Matt appeared next to Jack, holding two shoe boxes. "Sorry we took a little bit, Jack didn't really know what to pick out."

"That's okay." Ryan smiled at the two. "Let's put the stuff in the car, and we can go walk around the square."

Mark helped Matt and Jack put the bags and boxes into the trunk of the car, closing the lid before smiling at Jack. "Are you excited to see LA?"

Jack nodded. "Yeah. I can't wait. I mean, I've lived here for 26 years and never actually saw it. I wonder if it's exactly as I imagined it, from seeing it on the news and through windows."

"Well, let's find out, then!"

Mark took his hand, following Matt and Ryan as they walked around the city. They looked at storefronts and decorations, eating ice cream and laughing with each other.

At about noon, the ground began to shake. Jack quickly grabbed Mark's arm, his eyes wide. "What's happening? Are we going to die?"

Mark laughed. "No! It's just an earthquake- it happens all the time in LA, since it's built on a natural fault line."

Jack relaxed, smiling to himself. "Oh. Don't I look silly?"

Matt pointed at something in the horizon. "I don't think that was an earthquake, Mark."

The four men looked to where Matt was pointing and gasped. Just outside of the city, black smoke was rising. A lot of it.

"Is something on fire?" Ryan asked. "Did something explode? What would've caused that shaking?"

Jack looked around at the other LA residents and tourists nearby. Most of them were on their phones, either videotaping the smoke or calling their loved ones to make sure they were okay. He looked to his right, which was a storefront that had televisions in the window. Each one was tuned to a nearby news channel, which was covering the story. "Guys, check it out." The men noticed the televisions and moved closer to hear.

"The earthquake many of us just felt is coming from McFarland Laboratory, just outside of Los Angeles." The news reporter was saying. "The laboratory has been in flames for the last half hour, but just exploded and collapsed upon itself. Officials are currently trying to douse the flames, and the scientists at the laboratory still have no idea how the fire began."

Jack stepped back in shock. "We have to get over there."

Mark quickly spun to face him. "Do you even know what you're talking about? You just got out of that place, after twenty-six years. I'm not letting you go back and risk getting taken away again."

"I have friends there, Mark. Felix and Marzia. They could be dead. I have to go- I have to make sure they're okay."

"Jack, you can't-"

"I'll go with you, Jack." Ryan spoke up. "If Mark won't let you go, then I'll go with you and make sure you're not alone."

"Me, too." Matt nodded. "You could use the help if someone tries to take you."

"Thank you." Jack turned to Mark. "You're either with me or against me, but I'm going no matter what. I need to make sure they're okay."

Mark sighed, running his fingers in his hair. "Fine. Okay. You win. Let's go."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro