04| The King

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Kelly LeVonne

Arriving the ball, we are met with hounds upon hounds of paparazzi surrounding the palace all hoping to catch a glimpse of the royalty and elite socialites going in for the ball. These sort of events don't usually allow them any enterance so instead they stood at the large gates with their scrutinizing cameras lens capturing as people walked into the palace.

I took a deep breath as the car halted at the entrance doors. I never did like these sort of events.

A valet pulled the door open and I immediately stepped out. Too late to back out now.

I could feel the flashes of the cameras and hear my name being called but I paid it no mind as we were led into the ball room after handing in our invites at the doors to the strict looking security. As expected, the palace ball room has been spectacularly decorated to perfection and the room was filled with so much wealth you could practically smell the money in the air.

Both young and old men and women paraded about in their expensive tuxs and dresses sipping on expensive champagne. Even after four years away, the scene still looked the same and suddenly I was hit with the feeling of deja vu.

As the Duke, my father was highly respected amongst our social class, I wasn't surprised to see people immediately come to speak to him as soon as we walked in. Don't get me wrong I am by no means royalty. My great great grandfather was crowned Duke of Edenspree generations ago by one of the previous kings for some honorable act of which I have no idea and the title was passed down for generations and then to my father and will eventually be passed down to my brother whose whereabouts I do not know right now.

Lucky bastard. He never liked events like this and he was never forced by my parents to attend them. I, on the other hand, being a female, was.

As soon as a waiter carrying champagne walked by, I swiftly took a glass, sipping down some of its content and studying my environment.

I spotted my good friend Alice with her husband so I quickly walked to them, trying to put as much distance between my parents and myself as possible. The one disadvantage of attending such an event with them was the constant attention they got which I never wanted nor liked. I prefer to get lost in the crowds.

"Kelly!" Alice exclaims upon seeing me, pulling me into a quick, tight hug. "When did you return?"

Her husband, Leonard pulls me into a side hug. "A few days ago. I'm sorry I didn't ring you up."

Alice looks mildly hurt. "As long as you make it up to me with lunch this Friday, everything will be forgiven." She says with a smile.

"Definitely." I laugh.

We chat for a bit before they have to go about making rounds as I do the same. I speak with a few other friends of mine and discover that a majority of them had gotten married within those four years I hadn't been around. It's seems like that's all people do around here, I won't be surprised to discover the king too has gotten married.

Almost as soon as he came to mind, I heard a man announce on the stage, "Ladies and Gentlemen, please quiet as a speech will now be given by our host, His Royal Majesty King Theodore Morris The Third."

Immediately, the noise ceased on all ends of the room as the most handsome man that I have ever laid eyes upon came up to the stage. I couldn't help the quiet gasp that I released at the sight of him. How could someone so handsome exist?

He began his speech but I couldn't pay attention to a word he said as I was too busy staring at the lips from which it came. Those pink supple lips. And that face, damn. He has thick jet black hair which had been slicked to the back and a beautifully angled jaw. He looked to be over six feet tall and wore a perfectly tailored, no doubt Armani suit. I slowly looked back to his face. His chiseled face was intimidating. His eyes were a deep intense grey and was full of mirth as I heard the crowd laughing breaking me out of my reverie.

"And now, please enjoy the refreshments and have a wonderful night. God bless Westgate." He concluded to a round of applause as he stepped down from the stage, the spotlight immediately going off. My eyes followed him as I saw him stop to greet some people.

I would have continued staring and allowing myself indulge in this fine specimen of eye candy had I not been interrupted by a certain platinum blonde. "Kelly." I heard her call as I looked to her.

"Brianne." I acknowledged. I had to admit, tonight she looked good in her satin green one shoulder dress which complimented her equally leaf green eyes and her make up was done to perfection.

Brianne was an avid trouble maker and a nuisance in my opinion. Ever since secondary school, she took to disliking me for some reason and had always been vocal about it. I, on the other hand, couldn't care less about what she thought. So every time she presented me with her unwanted, unasked for opinion, I made it a mission to shut her up. Yet she was relentless over the years. I really hope in the years since I last saw her she had developed some character.

"And the black sheep returns." She says with an ugly mocking smile on her otherwise beautiful face.

I take my earlier comment back.

"You look beautiful tonight, Brianne," I tell her and then take a brief moment to relish the shock on her face at my somewhat compliment. "To stay that way, I suggest you do not open your rotten mouth for the rest of the night." And with that I walk off.

I can feel her staring daggers at my back with her eyes but I cannot be bothered with her right now. Not when I see my parents having a conversation with the King. I quickly drop my empty champagne glass on a tray replacing it with a full one.

"Kelly." My mother immediately calls as soon as she notices me. I take my time to walk gracefully into their small semi circle with a small grin on my face.

"Mother."

"This is King Theodore. Your Majesty, this is our daughter, Kelly." My mother says proudly as I feel my father's hand come around my waist.

The King stretches out his hand as I cordially accept it all the while captivated by his eyes. Up close, it is even more intense and alluring and I almost feel as if he's looking right through me. Wonder and an unrecognizable emotion flash through his eyes before it quickly disappears.

Upon realizing that we have been holding hands for a moment too long, he releases my hand and I reluctantly allow him, immediately missing the warmth from his firm grip.

"Nice to meet you, Kelly." He says, his deep voice smooth as velvet. Suddenly, it's as if he's speaking to my core because I immediately feel heat there at his voice alone.

"The pleasure is all mine." I reply with all honesty which I attempt to convey with my eyes as I bring the champagne glass to my lips.

"Kelly just returned from the states." My mother informs him all the while I keep a small grin on my face. One of the realest I've had on all night.

"Really?" The King asks. I can hear a slight intrest in his voice and it's enough to widen my grin.

Good. He wants to know more.

"Yes. Graduated top of her class from the University of Chicago." My father says proudly holding me closer.

I have a strong temptation to roll my eyes at that. I'm surprised he even knows.

"Interesting. And what course did you study?" He asks me directly and this makes me glad.

"Economics, sir." I say, instead of the normal 'your Majesty'. In my experience, men like being called 'sir' or 'daddy' but I do not think this is the place for the latter.

His grey eyes bore into me a bit more as he stares at me before they stray further down from my face. The King was absolutely checking me out right now and that knowledge couldn't give me greater joy.

"Beauty as well as brains." He mused as I felt a slight blush stain my cheeks at the compliment. Then, a man who looked to be his worker tapped him before whispering something into his ear.

"Excuse me, my attention is needed. It was nice seeing you all." He said the last part looking at me specifically and I instinctively bite my lower lip. His eyes went to that small action and he pauses for a second before reluctantly leaving.

Staring at his back, I knew right there that I was going to have him. No matter the cost.

Please don't forget to vote, comment your thoughts, share and follow me for future updates as I will be updating every week possible.

Also, is there any particular person you envision as King Theodore?

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro