15: Set in Stone

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

I was watching Egon and Ray having the time of their lives doing research on just who that woman was the other night. It had been about a week since we saw her, and so far there hadn't been anything out of usual about anything. Ghost were acting like normal, no one was in danger at the moment. They were using my books on astronomy and other areas to try and match anything up in Tobin's Spirit Guide. I had been helping them has had Winston, but it soon became clear to all of us that Ray and Egon were much more suited for this than us. Winston was sitting next to me at the moment. 

"Found anything yet?" he asked the two after a couple more minutes of them searching. 

"Not a single thing," Ray sighed. "Everything we look at, it's either not enough evidence to support it or it's wrong in one shape or form." 

"I know that we're worried crazy over this ghost, but maybe we shouldn't stress too much over her," I pointed out. "I mean the thing hasn't shown up in a week. Maybe it's just a scare tactic by Gozer to make us go bonkers and than nothing is going to happen." 

"Perhaps that is the case," Egon agreed after some thought. "Why not hit us while we still don't have a clue who or what she is? Means we don't have an idea how to beat her. The longer she gives us, the more info we can get." 

"See, so why don't we just relax and try to find out were Peter ran off to. You know, to get out of helping us." 

"Good idea," Winston chuckled, standing up. 

We walked downstairs to see a woman arguing with Peter about something. It looked like she was very angry about something, meanwhile Peter didn't seem too worried about it. Before we got close enough to hear anything that was being said, she shoved him and stormed out of the firehouse. 

"What was that about?" Ray asked, looking at the brunette. 

"Oh just my date from last week getting mad that I didn't return her calls," he explained with a smile. "Just like most of them." 

"Peter, you really ought to be nicer to them," I told him. "It's not right at all to not at least tell them you aren't interested instead of leaving them to wonder where you went and much more. Trust me, you don't want to cross the wrong woman." 

"I'm with Natalie on this one," Janine spoke up. "You're going to get in serious trouble one day because you broke the wrong girl's heart. Why don't you settle down sometime and such? I know I would love to," she said, looking at Egon who either didn't see the look or chose to ignore it. 

"I don't see the appeal in that," he snorted. "Why settle down when I can just keep doing what I'm doing?"

"All I'm saying is you might want to be nicer or else you or someone you love is going to get hurt. Besides I worry about you. You're like another brother to me Peter. I'd hate to see you get hurt." 

"Well I'll keep it in mind sis." 

I rolled my eyes at that, deciding to drop the conversation. I knew it wasn't going to go anywhere at the moment. Peter was too stubborn to listen to me after all. Looking back I wish I hadn't dropped it. After all, it might have saved me some time as... well we'll get to that in a second. 

About three days after we saw that argument, something weird started to happen. We got multiple calls that people were turning into stone. That they were sitting at the park or walking around town or riding bikes and than BAM! Solid stone statue for them. They saw a woman that floated in the air and had snakes for hair do it. I'm not the smartest person around, but I think anyone could put together who was behind it. Medusa. Or at least something similar to her if it wasn't exactly her. 

We figured the best course of action was to drive around the city and see if we could catch her in the act. If we did, we just had to not make eye contact and see what she wanted. We weren't sure if she was a ghost with Medusa like powers or an actual mythical creature. Seeming we dealt with gods, demons, and many other things that weren't ghost, it wasn't out of the realm of possibility that it was just a gorgon. 

It took nearly an hour to find her, but when we did, I have to say she wasn't what I had in mind for the queen of making yard decorations. She did of course have black and green snakes for hair that crawled around her head like the disgusting creatures they are. Her bottom half had a long, dark green snake tail in place of her feet. She wear a simple cream colored top and her skin was a sick pale color with patches of green scales. I refused to look at her face in fear I would turn to stone. Honestly I didn't want to look at her period. I still hate snakes. 

"Hey, snake!" Peter yelled at her. He's always had that way of words, hasn't he? "Can you please tell us why you are trying to turn the city into the world's biggest statue market?" 

"Who are you?" she hissed. Not like in the angry way, she really did hiss it like a snake. Creepy. 

"I'm Peter Venkman and these are my fellow Ghostbusters. We're supposed to stop you from turning people into stone.  So want to tell us?" 

"Peter, huh?" she asked. From the small part of her face I glanced at, she was smiling. "Perfect. You see, a woman summoned me to take care of heart-breakers. People who just toss others aside. She had kept getting terrible luck time after time. She wants all of them gone from this city. She told me you were the last straw. Seems you made the right person mad at you to allow me a wonderful time. Finding people, turning them to stone, it's been so much fun. I ought to thank you. I bet you'll make a wonderful statue, I might take you back home with me." 

"Peter, look out!" I yelled, pushing him out of the way of a bright light I saw. It had been heading right towards him, and I'd hate to think what it was going to do. In truth, I didn't have to think for long.

Now I finally had a good look at her face. It looked beautiful actually, or at least it once was. It was still that sickly pale color with green scales here and there. She had green lipstick on, bring out her white fangs that didn't fit in her mouth. Her eyes were what were stunning. They were a bright yellow color with bits of gold and orange in it. They had black slits for pupils, much like a snakes. They were pretty, despite what they were. I could fell my body getting colder and heavier before the world went dark for me. The last thing I heard was Peter gasping my name. 

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro