16: Solid Stone

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Now I should give a small warning for this next part. You see, I wasn't actually there for it. These events were told to me by the guys, so some facts may be wrong or they may be a bit exaggerated. I wouldn't know. I was a freaking statue! You think I could see or hear anything? I wish! Or maybe not, it wouldn't have been a good view. Anyway, with that out of the way, you all must be dying to know how my very smart coworkers handled my issue. In the mean time you get to hear my thoughts while I write this all out for you. I don't trust them enough to pass over the keyboard for them to type it. 

It took them a couple of seconds to process what had happened. Peter was the one who was really out of it. After all, I did push him. When he looked up, I was stone. He blinked in surprise before he quickly got back on his feet, staring at me. 

"Natalie?" he asked quietly, putting a hand on my stone face. "Oh no..." 

"What did you do to her?" Egon snapped at the creature that was simply watching everything go down. 

"I was trying to turn your other friend into stone," she snickered. "But I guess that girl had other plans. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to come back for him. I think I've used up way too much of my power getting the others." 

"Wait!" Ray cried out, but it was too late. The ghost was gone before the four could do anything. 

"Oh Natalie," Peter almost whimpered, looking at me. "I'm so sorry; this was supposed to be me." 

"She did try to warn you about hurting people," Winston told him. "She told you something like this could happen to you or someone you love. Now look, she can't even tell you she told you so. So I'll do it for her!" Thanks Winston, glad you've got my back. 

"I know she did," Peter sighed. "I should have listened to her, but I didn't. Now she's a lawn decoration and it's all my fault! Egon, please tell me there is something we can do to get her back." 

"I don't know yet Peter," he told him, looking at me. "I'd have to go back to the firehouse and see just what to do. In legends of Medusa, there isn't a way to turn them back. But there isn't a chance I'm letting my sister stay like this." 

"I second that," Ray sighed. 

The four pulled Ecto-1 closer so that they could easily load me up. Winston made sure to tell me that it wasn't the easiest thing in the world to do. I probably should have been insulted, but I was solid stone at that point. I imagine any person who was basically contrite would weigh a whole lot more than normal. He also told me they dropped me on Peter's foot. That made it better as well. 

They drove back to the firehouse, struggling again to get me out of the car. When Janine looked up, she couldn't help but gasp at the sight. 

"What happened to Natalie?" 

"She pushed Peter out of the way and took on his stony fate for him," Ray explained as Peter looked at me. "Now we've got to find a way to get her back to normal." 

"I don't think we want a Spengler yard decoration around," Winston sighed. "After all, she doesn't even look good with that shocked and scared expression on her." 

"No kidding," Peter grumbled. "Egon, can you find anything out about her?" 

"According to Tobin's Spirit Guide, there are a couple of ghost that match the description of turning people into ghost. Though only one of them can be summoned like she said she was. Which means there is a way to get Natalie back to normal since this ghost isn't the actual Medusa." 

"Who is she?" asked Winston. 

"A ghost by the name of Linka. She can be summoned when you are at a very low point and will change anyone you wish to stone. She is usually only called to do a few people, never this many. But this woman seems to want to make people suffer, so she'll be back for more victims. I imagine you will be one Peter." 

"So how do we turn Nat and everyone else in New York back?" 

"Catching her should do the trick. But that means we have to find and catch her without turning to stone ourselves." 

"Well fellas, I think I have a plan," Peter declared with a smile. 

It took them a couple hours to get everything set up, but I have to admit when they told me the plan, it was a pretty good one. Didn't know Peter had it in him. Egon, Ray, and Winston were waiting in alleyways close to were Peter was waiting out in the open. He was going to lore her out with the one who got away after all. No one could resist that. Once Linka appeared, the other three were going to zap and trap her. The reason it took a while to set up was for two reasons. 

The first was Egon and Ray had to make special glasses. In case she busted out her stone gaze, the guys wanted protection so that they wouldn't be joining me. Kind of wish that foresight had been used the first time we went after her. The second was to dress me up. In order to sell the deal that Peter was a heartless jerk, they wanted to show him doing what the woman claimed he always did: break hearts. But they weren't going to put someone else in danger if they could avoid it. So they covered me up in a pretty jacket and dress, put the hood up, and bam, I was ready to have my heart shattered in a million pieces by Dr. Venkman. I kinda wish I had seen it. 

They tell me Peter did wonderful with his jerky speech. Saying it wasn't me, it was him. That some people just aren't meant to be together. That I'd find happiness one day, all that jazz. I would have slugged him if he broke up with me that way. Which was the point. The four heard laughter, looking up to see the ghost with the stone eyes. 

"So you can't even help yourself when a friend needs you, huh?" she asked with a smile. "I bet she loves having you around!" 

"I'll have you know Nat thinks I'm a pretty awesome person to hang around!" he snapped. "At least I think she does! And I'd do anything to keep her safe, so you have one chance to turn her back or else you're going to regret it!" For a side note, yes I do think Peter is a pretty awesome person. Don't tell him I said that. His head is already bit enough. 

"I think I'll let you join her as a statue!" 

"Alright than, fire!" 

Three streams hit Linda as she cried out in pain. She tried to get away and turning them to stone, but the two brilliant men's glasses worked very well. Peter opened the trap under her as they watched her get trapped herself. That's when the world came back into color and I saw four smart yet kind of stupid men looking at me. 

"What happened?" I asked. I'll let you all know, post statue brain is a nightmare to work with! I was having trouble thinking what left and right was. 

"You got turned into a statue by that ghost!" Winston explained to me. "She was aiming right at Peter but you pushed him out of the way." 

"Oh Natalie, thank goodness you are okay!" Peter exclaimed, hugging me tightly. "You were so right about how I treat girls! From now on I'm going to go straight so you don't turn to stone on me again! Can you please forgive me?" 

"I... I mean yeah, I can," I told him slowly. "I don't really blame you though Peter. You would have done the same for me." 

"But if I had just listened to you, maybe this wouldn't have happened." 

"I gave you that advice after you broke up with her. She probably would have done it even if you had listened to me. You can't fix crazy Peter. But either way, I am glad to hear that you are going to take my advice and be more nice. That's going to land you a very sweet girl. I just know it." 

And honestly, I wish I had been right. But we'll talk about my failure to be right soon enough. Than again I did manage to find Peter the love of his life because of it. So there is that. I guess I was half and half? I'll take it. 

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro