18: Why We Need to Stop Going to Parties

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

It had been a couple months since I had meant Danica. She really did seem like a nice woman from the time she had been around. I should probably mention she was around a lot in that time frame. Whenever we had free time between bust, she was there with Peter. They went on dates, watched TV on the couch, ate with us, all that fun stuff. At this point it felt like she was just one step from moving into the firehouse with us. I didn't have much issue with that since like I said, she was a sweet girl. 

Nothing too big had happened since that ghost came out of my telescope. No sign of it or Gozer at that moment in time. That did have me a little on edge at that point since they were clearly out to take over the world and probably kill us. I mean we were about the only people in their way at that point. 

Peter had also been showing Danica around the city a lot. We went with them a couple of times. She was pretty new to New York it seemed. She said she was from the west coast so that did make sense. Though the few times we were around people like the mayor or someone like that, I did notice she made a reference of them being like one of the Greek gods. She said the mayor and his wife were an awful like Zeus and Hera to the city. For their marriage I hope that wasn't true. I didn't think much about that. She just must really like the mythology behind those legends. I like them a lot too. Not that I've ever compared myself to the god Apollo. 

I was watching a show with Winston and Ray when I was told about the party that started this whole mess. Egon was in the kitchen cooking dinner for us since it was his turn to cook. We would have gotten takeout that night but we didn't have money at the moment. We were having a slow period with ghost at the moment. They come and go. We still had enough for the bills and groceries, but we did need to get a good job soon. Peter walked in with a letter in his hand and a big old grin. 

"What's that, a love letter?" Winston teased him. That caused the rest of us to snicker. 

"No, it's not," he informed him. "Unless the mayor is hosting this party to tell me his undying love he has for me." 

"You'd have a better chance moving a mountain than that happening," Egon told him. That comment caused more laughter. 

"So the mayor is holding a party and wants us to go?" I asked. 

"Yep! Told us to look our best since a lot of important people will be there." 

"Wasn't aware we were overly important people," Ray chuckled a bit. "Than again the last party we went to did end with an army of demons being released from a book." 

"And Natalie's capture," Winston put in. 

"Oh and her death!" Peter joined. 

"Plus it did cause a lot of annoying moments with that demon and her," Egon added. 

"Well I can't wait to go to this party now! I wonder what will happen to me there you jerks!" I snapped at them. "I better jump for joy at the invite." 

"Sorry," Ray told me sheepishly. 

"It's fine. I did nearly forget that the whole thing did nearly start at a party. So let's see what the fun time will be. I pray for nothing, but we don't get that lucky!" 

I need to keep my mouth shut. It just gets me in trouble when I'm being sarcastic. The invite said that it was going to be for next week. That wouldn't be a problem. We made sure that no bust would take place than so that we could just enjoy a night of fun with a punch of stuck up rich people! Okay, maybe not that. But you get my point! 

We were at the party that night. We were dressed up, looking nice. The guys were in suits and I was in a dress. I'm pretty sure the guys only own their one suits since that's all I see them in. Lucky for me I own a couple of dresses. And I mean that. I only own two. Might have a third somewhere! I don't dress up often. I was wearing the long purple dress that I owned that only had straps to hold it up. It wasn't anything special. Honestly I looked dressed down compared to the very expensive dresses those ladies wore. I think I got mine on clearance. I'm all about deals. I wasn't the only lady there though. No, Peter brought Danica with us as his date. They were talking around the snack table. We were pretty close by while other people talked to us. Peter was too lost in those pretty blue eyes to pay attention. 

The mayor walked over to us with his wife in tow. He smiled brightly at us. She didn't really have much emotion besides a small glare at Peter. I had learned that she wasn't a very big fan of him. He once hit her with the proton stream. Only Peter... 

"There are my boys and girl!" He told us with that smile only politicians can make. The one that seems happy but I'm pretty sure isn't very happy. You know the one.  "Are you all enjoying the party so far?" 

"We are Mr. Mayor," Ray told him with a small smile. "Thank you for the invite." 

"Oh it's no trouble at all. Oh, who is this charming lady?" he asked, his eyes landing on Peter's girlfriend. 

"This is Danica, my girlfriend," he introduced the two. "We went to an opening you were at the other day. She thought it was something." 

"I'm glad to hear," he said, holding his hand out for her to shake. 

She smiled and took his hand. They shook, but when the mayor went to pull his hand away, she held on tighter. We all stared at her for a second before she started to laugh. That's when a light started to appear around her. Her skin turned a very light pale blue that seemed to shine. Her eyes became all black and her hair grew longer. It was the ghost that came out of my telescope! 

"You five made this way too easy!" she laughed, quickly grabbing the mayor's wife. "You brought me right to the hardest two people to get!" 

In a flash of bright light I saw the mayor and his wife disappear. When we looked around the room I saw them. They were trapped in what looked like a tapestry. He was wearing what looked like a gray toga with a lightning pin on it. At the top around his hide were clouds with lighting bursting out of them. Beside him was her in a white Greek dress. She had her hair up with a peacock feather sticking out of it. She had a cloak on that seemed to be made of the bird's feathers and had a royal air to her. 

"That's two down, ten to go!" she laughed. 

"I... Danica what is going on?" Peter asked, glaring at her. "Who are you, really?" 

"I'm just a nobody right now," she hissed. "But once I have all twelve of the gods in a proper body, I'll be the ruler of this world! And than I'll let Gozer have their own fun with it! After all they were the one who gave me the idea. All I have to do is let you five not stop me and Gozer kill you. That's all they want. So don't mess with my plan! I can't believe it worked so well. I would have never gotten near the people I needed to without your help Peter." 

"You used me!" 

"Of course I did! And I got enough knowledge of you five that I don't even need to worry about you! So I'll see you later! I have to go to the docks and get a couple more people!" With that, she and her prisoners were gone. 

"I'm an idiot!" Peter grumbled, looking up at the ceiling. "I got blindsided by a ghost using a pretty face!" 

"It's going to be okay Peter," Ray told him, putting a hand on his shoulder. "I know it must be hard on you, but we have to save the mayor and make sure she doesn't get anymore people. Sounds like she's got ten more people in mind for her lovely decorations." 

"You're right," he sighed. 

"Let's get to the firehouse so we can change and get to the docks before she does," Egon told us. 

That sounded like a plan to me. And that's what we did. 

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro