~ 6 ~

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

When the next morning comes, I wake up in a dreamy state, as if last night wasn't quite over just yet.

Monday mornings aren't usually my favourite since they also mean a new week of work starting anew, a never ending cycle that will most certainly burn me out one day, but I find myself smiling as soon as I open my eyes, a rare thing coming from me.

Our dinner at the restaurant went so well last night that we almost forgot about our movie, and we rushed there giggling like children after having done a silly prank, only arriving at the cinema after the first few minutes had already begun.

I'm not sure if I remember the movie as much as I remember his suit jacket being drawn over my legs to keep them warm, or the way that his hand rested palm upwards between us, as if to tempt me into holding it.

I still regret not being courageous enough to slip my hand on top of his, but my fear that it might have been unconscious won over in the end, and our hands remained lonely for the entire duration of the movie.

What would've happened had I held it instead?

Knowing that time is ticking, I sigh before following my usual routine, from getting out of bed and dressed into professional clothes to applying some makeup and making sure I look extra presentable for the handsome man currently in the shower.

In the shower. Dear lord.

I exit my bedroom and push my wheels past the bathroom and all the way to the kitchen to get the coffee machine started since Yoongi and I both cannot live without it, and I look into the fridge to see if I could possibly make us a good breakfast to thank him for yesterday.

I hadn't had fun like that in forever, it's a night that will forever hold a special place in my heart.

While humming softly, I grab a few things to make us some pancakes even though I'm not really that skilled at timing when to flip them to get that perfect colour, but knowing that the taste will be similar either way, it should be safe enough for this morning.

Then we're going to have to be on our way to work and I'll be stuck all day at my desk to translate entire documents that will most likely be sent to important people and customers, just like every other day.

There will maybe be the occasional easy document that's slipped into the pile by a lazy coworker who sees me as a way out of doing tasks that pay their paycheck, and no one will hear any complaints from me because I can't really afford to do that when I'm already using most of my employer's empathy towards my health situation and all it requires.

Thankfully, no one really said anything about Yoongi after a few days of having him around with me - some of them even forgot that he was there at all - but I don't know how long that peace will last.

There's always a problem waiting to peek around the corner when people see someone else getting a better treatment than them, even if the entire situation isn't one to take lightly. I'm not getting all my favors because I'm better than everyone, I'm only getting them because my doctor is doing a good job at convincing the higher ups that it's necessary.

My phone starts to ring just as I begin to mix the batter, and I pick it up when I find said doctor's name on the screen, not finding it unusual that he's calling so early because that's how we've worked together for years now.

He knows that I'll be too busy to answer him later, so he usually calls when he's on his way to work, when I'm still at home and getting ready to eat breakfast. Some things don't change no matter how much time passes.

"Good morning" I say simply after putting him on speaker as I resume mixing every ingredients together to get that perfect texture. He must be impatient to know how it's going with Yoongi so far.

"Good morning, Y/N, I'm not bothering you, am I?".

I shake my head, unaware that Yoongi is now standing at the dining table with a towel in hand to dry his hair, curious eyes on me as he listens and observes in silence.

"No, you're alright. I was just about to make breakfast, so I put you on speaker" I answer before heating up the stove with the pan over it, after which I lean back in my chair to hear what the doctor has to say, not that it worries me.

"Okay, good. I just wanted to hear about how it's been going with Yoongi so far, and if your magick has been acting up since his arrival. It's been almost a week since then, so how are you? Are you getting used to living with him?".

I hum, hand over the pan to see if it's heating up properly - I wouldn't want to put batter into it before it's at the right temperature, else I'll really mess up the first pancake and I hate when that happens. I want them all the same colour.

"It's been going really well, honestly. Yoongi and I get along better than I first thought, and though we've had a few lows on the way, I think it's safe to say that we're on the right path now. My magick acted up once or twice, but he's handled it quite efficiently. Otherwise, it's been going really well" I say with a small smile, honesty in every words I speak.

"I'm really happy to hear that, Y/N. Only twice is wonderful news, your magick used to act up everyday before his arrival so that's huge progress right there. I'd really like it if we could have another scan done this week to see how your body's reacting so far without the constant attack of ice into your bones. What do you think?".

I sigh before grabbing my phone to have a look at my calendar.

"I don't know... I've taken many days off recently for these appointments and my manager warned me that any more would start to go against me. Can we wait at least another two weeks? I'll do more overtime to appease them in the meantime, and anyway, things are going well right now so there's nothing to worry about, seriously" I try to offer another alternative that would be easier to accomplish for me, even though it might not be ideal.

I can't always leave work for these appointments, I'm going to lose my job at this pace and that's the last thing I need. It's hard enough getting a job as it is with my condition and I like it where I am, it won't do me any good if I end up fired.

Wang stays silent for a bit as he thinks it over while Yoongi listens with concern creasing into his brows.

"Well... I understand that these appointments aren't easy to attend for you, Y/N, but they're very important. We need to keep a close eye on your state if we want to prevent anything from happening. Take that time when your lungs were freezing and you weren't aware of it for example, that scan saved you from a really bad outcome" he tries to insist but I shake my head before grabbing the batter and pouring it into the pan once the temperature to my liking.

"I know and I remember, but Yoongi is with me now. He'll sense it if something like that happens again, he's been very good at keeping my magick in check, I promise. I feel fine, better than ever, really".

Silence meets my statement, and I know that he's not too happy with my resistance, but I don't have many options this time. He's going to have to work with me here.

"That's true, I did put him by your side for that exact reason... Alright then, I'll leave this in your hands, Y/N, but you have to promise me to call if anything ever feels wrong, alright? No job is worth risking your life for it, I'd rather you take a day off and come see me than keep working when you're feeling unwell" he finally surrenders, something that surprises me considering that doctor Wang never gives up that easily, but it serves to show that he really believes in Yoongi's skills and magick.

"I promise" I muse softly, content for his authorization. "I'm well aware that a job is not any more important than my health, but it's still a job that pays and it's better than having none at all. I'll call if I ever need it, but I'm confident that it won't be necessary so please don't worry too much. Yoongi's been good to me, in a way that honestly takes me aback sometimes".

I admit that aloud with a shy smile, and my doctor makes a curious sound from the other side of the line while the man himself blushes a little, should he walk away before he hears something too personal?

"Oh? Do I hear... affection? You've never used that tone for anyone before. It must be going very well if you're trusting him to that extent, I knew the two of you would work well together. Or is it not work anymore?".

The end sounds like a tease and I huff and blush before retorting with a voice that lets everyone know that there's indeed a shift in what this is at the present. Not quite work anymore, but not so far into a relationship that it can be admitted aloud yet.

"Is that all you needed? Because I'm busy, so if you have nothing else of importance to ask, I'll be hanging up" I utter bashfully, and seeing through me has never been that easy before for the man who chuckles on the phone, feeling pleased with what information he's managed to get so far.

"Alright, alright. I'm done with the questions, I already heard everything I needed to know anyway. I'll call again next week so we can figure out when to give you your appointment, how does that sound?" he soothes me the only way he can - by focusing on my health again - and I nod once as I flip the first pancake.

Perfect colour, just as I wanted.

"Yeah, that works for me" I say, and after a simple goodbye, I end the call to focus on the meal that I'd like to finish before Yoongi finishes his shower, it'd be great if he could come by only when I'm done setting the table.

Resuming my humming as I pour another load of batter into the pan, I am entirely unaware of Yoongi still standing by the table, and it's only when I turn my chair around to wash my hands after getting some of the batter on my skin that I find him already staring at me with his feline eyes.

I startle and nearly swear before I stop myself in time with a hand over my chest, heart skipping a beat while he grins apologetically. "Goddamn, Yoongi, you scared me" I utter before quickly rinsing my hands and drying them as he walks over with amusement settling into his pretty brown eyes.

"Sorry, scaring you wasn't my intention. I got here while you were on the phone, but I didn't know when to speak up to let you know that I was here so I kept quiet instead. Can I help with breakfast? Anything I can do?".

I swat his hand away when he tries to take my spot at the stove, and I motion for him to step out of my territory while I'm working. "You shan't. This is my job, don't take breakfast from me when I'm the one who started it. I don't want you to get all the credit".

He chuckles while raising his hands good-naturedly, and he walks behind the counter before leaning over it to watch me as I hurry back to the pancake when it starts to smell like it's burning. I flip it just in time before it gets bad, but this is one I'm going to have to eat myself, damn it.

"Note taken. Don't steal cooking from Y/N when she rules the kitchen, otherwise you get kicked out".

I nod my head seriously, agreeing with his choice of words.

"Exactly. I hate having to go around other bodies in small spaces, makes it hard to move without rolling over feet. Then people complain at me despite clearly being the ones in the wrong and I get to feel bad for the rest of the day. That gets fixed when I allow no one around me".

Yoongi presses his lips together as his smile fades away, and he pushes some wet strands of hair out of his eyes. "Did that happen a lot to you?".

I drop the other pancake into the same plate before getting started on the next one, magick thrumming around me as if dancing on a silent song.

"Quite a bit, yeah. It's as if people spread the message to be assholes just for the sake of it. They pretend like they don't see me even though we literally made eye-contact, they get in my way purposefully as I'm moving, and then I'm stuck having to listen to their rant about how I should be more careful since I'm the disabled one. It's my 'responsibility' to watch out for them, like they don't have eyes and common sense to guide them. Bunch of assholes, the lot of them".

The end is spat with more anger than I would have liked to show, but it just gets my blood boiling when I think back to those moments. My previous jobs all had the same kind of people, and I never quite felt at home anywhere.

At least, where I am now has Hoseok, the only man who's shown me respect and acceptance despite my difference. He's never had to utter a word in my presence, but I know that people leave me alone all thanks to him. I owe him so much.

Yoongi hums softly, it always makes his chest hurt when he hears about my bad experiences, more so now than when we first met.

He'd never really had to pay much attention to how people like me get treated in the big city until he began to study to become a caregiver, and seeing how it's affecting me from a personal point of view makes his fire rage in his guts.

It's one thing to know that strangers are having it tough, but knowing that it's also happening to the person he's developing feelings for makes this a thousand times worse.

"I'm sorry that you have to experience all those bad things" he utters after a long moment of silence, and I smile lightly, his words acting like a balm of soothing as my anger turns into acceptance.

"Thank you, Yoongi. It's not your fault so you don't have to apologize for other people's behaviour, but I appreciate the thought. It's not that bad now, or maybe I just got used to it. Either way, no one's complained to me in months and I plan on keeping that score going".

He would like to add that he'll make sure himself that this score keeps going, he'll burn people to a crisp whenever needed as far as he's concerned, but he's gotten to know me enough to know that I'm too proud to accept help to that extent yet, so he remains quiet instead.

It royally sucks to know that someone you like is having a hard time for things out of their control, but he intends to do his best to support me from the back, because there's no way in hell that he'll be able to ignore those things from now on.

If I want space, I'll get it, even if it costs someone their toes and fingers.

"Oh right, before I forget. I made coffee, do you want any? I'll make you a cup".

"That'd be nice, please. Thank you, Y/N".

---

I stretch after a couple of hours of working on translating the first of many legal documents I was tasked with for the week, then turn my chair a little so I can glance at Yoongi who appears focused on his own writing, glasses miraculously holding onto his nose after we adjusted them earlier.

They're actually not the same ones as when he repaired my phone since the shape is different, and those serve to protect his eyes from the blue light when on the screen during long periods of time rather than to help him see, but they still look good on him.

He really wasn't joking when he said that he would wear glasses more often, and for a reason that embarrasses me, I like that. I like that he's wearing them more often after I told him that they look good on him, because he values my opinion.

I don't realize that I'm staring until he looks up to observe me with a questioning glint in his dark eyes, and I fully expose myself when I quickly look away with the intention of looking busy doing something else, which I fail miserably when I end up pushing my half-filled glass off the desk and onto my lap.

The glass bounces off my knee and onto the floor, and the water soaks up my clothes before my ice decides to try and fix my problem by freezing the liquid where it is, resulting in a thick layer of ice crystals that connects and keeps my thighs together.

"Fuck it" I mumble to myself as I try to find a tissue or something even though it wouldn't really serve much at this point, but Yoongi is faster when he jumps up to take in the damage of my mistake, eyes filled with alarm despite my lack of pain.

Such a situation hasn't happened often since he moved in with me, but he doesn't underestimate any of them, knowing that my magick is unpredictable as of now. Teaching it new concepts has yet to bring a change in the way it reacts towards me, but Yoongi isn't giving up yet.

He kneels in front of me before hovering both hands over my lap to let his fire melt the ice, brows knit together as he concentrates on the state of my legs. I can't really tell what he's doing since I don't feel anything, but seeing the red of his magick continually seep into my skin lets me know that the damage went deeper than I thought.

"It went for your muscle tissues and blood vessels" he explains briefly when he meets my gaze before focusing back on controlling my ice and melting it off, and I hum lightly, not really concerned about what impact this would have on me. It's not like my legs serve me much anyway.

Maybe that's why doctor Wang is always worrying about me, because I don't find a problem in that kind of situation anymore, when it's in fact more imperative that I take care of what's left of my legs. In my mind, things can't get worse than they already are, but it's not quite true.

"You haven't done any exercises for your legs in a while, have you?".

I avoid his gaze at that pointed question, and he sighs deeply. These are times when Yoongi's job annoys me - he knows what I know, but instead of ignoring them like I do, he confronts my habits - or lack thereof.

"I do them during the occasional physical therapy appointments" I eventually mumble, though we both know that it's only because I don't have any choice then. Check ups for my health usually include having a look at my legs, but that's about as far as it goes on the subject.

The exercises my physical therapist asks me to do are unpractical after all. How am I supposed to do them at home on my own when I can't even move my toes? I don't know what they expect of me when they know that my legs are dead for me.

"Do you have a list of recommended exercises for your condition? How often do you have those appointments?" he continues with the questions as he remains on his knees in front of me, palms now on my knees but the glow of his magick gone.

My jeans have dried up, and no trace of water remains, as if it evaporated into thin air.

I try to think back to the last appointment I had that focused specifically on my legs and muscles, but it must take too long for me to answer to his liking because he looks pretty unhappy when I glance back at him with an awkward lump in my chest.

"It must have been a couple of weeks ago? I can't remember, but the list is somewhere in my room at home, probably in a drawer or something".

He seems to connect even more dots from some conversations I wasn't part of when he rubs a temple with his thumb, eyes shut in what I imagine is resignation. "Doctor Wang did say that you don't make use of the services nearly enough, I just didn't think it would be that bad".

I swallow another wave of annoyance, I can see what's coming my way and I don't like it at all, nope.

"You're a stubborn one, Y/N, you really are. I'll have a look at that list when we're back home tonight, and we'll figure out how to apply the exercises on a regular basis. I'll take care of helping you myself, 'that good with you?".

I pinch my lips together to hide the surprise that threatens to show on my face at his unexpected decision, for this is much better than if he sent me to those forsaken appointments himself.

Having him help with stretching my legs doesn't seem so bad, if I must be honest.

"Well... I guess I can tolerate this outcome" I murmur with a pleased tone that makes him huff softly, eyes creasing slightly before he stands back up with my empty glass settled on the desk, now done with the damage control, which he seems to be getting used to by now.

"Good. Now, was there anything you needed from me before this all began? I did catch you staring before you dropped that water on you".

Damn it.

I'm about to come up with some kind of lie to save my dignity even though I know very well that he would see through them anyway - it must be the cat eyes, they see everything - but someone knocks on the door to save my skin, and whoever is on the other side is from now on my temporary savior.

How happy I am about it is yet to be seen though.

Yoongi gives a sigh of irritation before walking over to open it for me, and to both our surprise, Hoseok is who greets us with a bright smile of his as he enters slightly in the doorway to fit me into his line of sight.

"Good day to you, Yoongi, Y/N. Lunchtime is approaching quickly and I come with a question. Have you anything reserved for today or can I let Namjoon know to reserve a table and wait for us like last time?".

I blink slowly, as does Yoongi, and we don't even need to look at one another to nod our head in sync. Clearly, the prospect of spending time with Hoseok is a concept that the black haired man is taking to, and I don't see why I would refuse my good friend when I could do with a change of pace.

Not to say that Yoongi is exhausting, but talking about my health always gets me in a sour mood.

"Great! Namjoon really liked the two of you and was excited at the idea of seeing you again, he'll be happy to know that you're coming by today. How about we meet up in the same lobby so we can leave together?" he asks with delight written all over his face, a sight that pulls a soft smile from me.

It's a relief to me that he seems to like Yoongi too. For a reason that I ignore, I would've hated it if they couldn't get along. The idea of leaving either men behind leaves a bitter feeling in the pit of my stomach.

"That sounds good with us, we'll meet you there once we're done here" Yoongi answers after making sure with me, this is one thing that he doesn't want to decide for me, and seeing Hoseok bring his hands to his heart with a pleased noise lights up my mood instantly.

"Perfect. I'll see you later, then!".

With the date now secured, he gives us a wave of the hand before leaving back to his own office, leaving everyone else in the large room wondering how it is that I always manage to get his good moods while they get the cold ones.

Yoongi doesn't miss the gazes that are shared between my coworkers, and he glares at them before closing the door on the disheartening sight. He's had very little contact with them so far, but he's already decided that he hates every single one of them.

"Well, I should get more work done before it's time to go" I say while moving my chair back to my desk, a sigh released at the sight of the document that I needed a distraction from earlier. All those fancy and overused terms are going to give me a headache.

"Hmhm. Don't be shy if you need something nice to look at from time to time, I don't mind at all".

I choke on my saliva, Yoongi's comment too teasing to be taken seriously, and yet, I've started to know him well enough to see a pattern when he doesn't mean something, and when he does. This was very serious.

He giggles to himself, a cute little noise that doesn't fit the situation, nor the way that he makes me feel the more time we spend together, and I shake my head as I try to focus on work again, he will not get me to lose face, not today.

"You're impossible, Yoongi. Truly impossible".

"You like me that way, Y/N, admit it".

"Never in a thousand years, it's insufferable".

"Hm, you denied it too quickly. Your blush is rather unconvincing as well".

"I need to concentrate so stop talking, Yoongi. Shush".

"Fine, fine".

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro