2- The Omen

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Flamefoot padded back into camp, proudly carrying a huge squirrel that he had chased through the trees. Rocktail came in after him, bearing his own prey. They went over to the fresh-kill pile and set down their catches, and Flamefoot noted with satisfaction that there was more than enough prey for every cat.

Rocktail flicked Flamefoot's ear with his tail mischievously. "That squirrel was pretty old.... I wonder if a kit could have caught it!" Flamefoot purred, recognizing the humor in his friend's voice. "I'm personally surprised you even got that thrush. They certainly are tough when they sit there completely defenseless and distracted!" Rocktail's whiskers twitched in amusement. "Come on, let's get something to eat," he said, changing the subject.

The two cats dropped off their prey at the fresh-kill pile and chose one to eat. After a moments pause, Flamefoot picked his own squirrel, and Rocktail chose a plump blackbird.

As they settled down to their prey, Flamefoot saw Darkwind and Sootstar out of the corner of his eye. They had emerged from Sootstar's den, but Darkwind still looked anxious, and Sootstar grim. Flamefoot suddenly felt an urge to find out what was going on. "I'll be right back..." He muttered, and he stood up and padded over to the two cats, leaving a confused Rocktail behind to finish his bird. "I'll see you later then," Rocktail called, and Flamefoot flicked his ear in acknowledgement.

The ginger warrior approached his leader and medicine cat carefully, as he was unsure how they would react to his curiousity. Would he just be told to mind his own buisness? Flamefoot shook his head, trying to disperse the doubts coursing through his mind. For some reason, he felt like he needed to know what was going on.

"Flamefoot, can I help you?" Said a voice. Flamefoot jumped, not noticing Sootstar's gaze come to him. Darkwind looked on expectantly, awaiting his answer. Flamefoot paused for a heartbeat then spoke. "I'm very sorry to disturb you, but I noticed you both seemed a bit... tense. Is something the matter?"

Sootstar looked at him thoughtfully. "Why do you wish to know?"

"If there is any sort of trouble, I want to help my clan in whatever way possible." He replied.

Darkwind cleared his throat slightly, looking embarassed to interrupt. "Sootstar, I think we should discuss this with Robinflight first, before the rest of the clan."

Sootstar nodded. "I'm sorry Flamefoot, but he's right. ShadowClan's deputy shown know before a regular warrior. I mean no disrespect, of course," he added. Flamefoot nodded. "I understand. Whatever it is, I wish you luck." And with that, he walked away to resume eating his squirrel.

Despite his nonchalant manner, Flamefoot's mind was buzzing with thoughts. So there was a problem! Sootstar and Darkwind just weren't telling him. Then again, Sootstar had never said Flamefoot couldn't know. Only that the deputy, Robinflight, should know first. Soon, he knew, whatever they had been talking about would come out.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro