37. Dinner with The McKellar's

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

I am in the kitchen making dinner for Jensen's family. This is the first time that I've been a part of a huge family dinner. My Aunt and Uncle kept me away from their families. Which is something that I have realised was wrong.

When they set me up with Jensen I thought it was a mistake. But, now I see that it was the best decision that they made where it concerned me. All they ever cared about was power and money. They kept me because they knew I held both power and wealth at a young age.

I look at the door as Jensen and Lauren enter the house. Lauren runs over to me and she looks at the food. "I'm hungry." I give her some fruit and she takes it. She looks at me. "What did you think of the baby's room?"

I smile. "I love it. Jensen did a great job with the room and you chose furniture that I would have if I had the chance to go shopping with him." I look at them both. "If we have another child I want to decorate the room and chose the furniture."

Jensen moves over to me and wraps his arms around me. "I can live with that. Do you need help with dinner? I don't want you to work too hard."

I turn towards him. "I'm not working hard. But, your family will have a nice meal once I've finished preparing the vegetables."

He looks at the oven. "What are cooking in there?"

"We're having a baked dinner."

He looks at me. "I didn't know you could cook." He sits at the table next to Lauren.

I rinse the white potatoes and place them into the aluminium foil. I wrap the potatoes and then move over to the pumpkin. I wrap them and put them in the oven with the pork. I make a potato salad and then put it in the fridge. I look at Jensen. "Can you carry me to the lounge? I don't think I can work that far."

Jensen moves over to me and he lifts me up. He carries me to the lounge. He pretends to drop me and slap him. "Stop it."

He laughs. "I like picking on you."

I roll my eyes. "Of course you do."

He places me on the lounge and he pulls my shoes off. He rubs my feet for me. I throw my head back and start to moan.

I hear Lauren say. "I'm going to my room. I don't want to hear that." I laugh. I turn around and see her run out of the room.

At 5pm, there's a knock on the door and Jensen climbs to his feet. He moves over to the door and he opens. He smiles. "Mum, Dad. Thanks for coming."

Mrs McKellar smiles. "I was waiting for this invite for the last three weeks."

I rise and move toward the door. "That's my fault. I just wasn't ready to move here until today. Did you help Jensen decorate the baby's room?"

She nods. "Yes, I hope you didn't mind."

I shake my head. "The room is perfect. I want to thank you for helping him out."

She moves towards me and hugs me. "You're welcome sweetheart. Let's go to the kitchen. I want to see what you've cooked for dinner." She pulls me towards the kitchen. She walks over to the oven and looks inside. She smiles. "This is first time that someone has made a baked dinner for us."

Cindy enters the kitchen and she stands next to me. "Mum, leave her alone." She smirks. "Or Joy might poison your food."

We laugh.

Cindy looks at me. "Have you found your Maid of Honour yet?"

I shake my head. "I was actually thinking about asking someone." Her mouth opens and closes. I smile. "I was wondering if you'd be my Maid of Honour. Since, Jensen and I got married at the Hamilton Annual Party."

Cindy hugs me. "I'd love to you M.O.H. it's an honour to be asked by you." she runs into the living room and yells. "I'm going to be the Maid of Honour."

I hear applause from the living room.

Mrs McKellar smiles. "You've just made my daughters day by asking her to be part of your wedding."

Lauren walks into the kitchen. She sit on a stool. "I thought I was going to be in the wedding?"

I move over to her and wrap my arms around her. "You will be in the wedding party. You're my Bridesmaid and you get to wear a pretty dress."

She smiles. "Okay, Joy."

I hear the doorbell and I turn to Mrs McKellar. "I thought that was all from your family?"

She nods. "It is. I didn't want to overwhelm you by cooking for too many people."

Lauren looks at me. "I invited our cousins. We haven't seen them since you graduated." She walks over to the door.

Josef, Lana and Leonard enter the kitchen and they move over to me. Josef hugs me. He looks at me. "Why haven't you stayed in contact with us?"

I look at him. "I've been busy. Haven't you heard from Lauren?"

He nods. "I heard from her this afternoon when she called me to come over for dinner." He looks at her. "You didn't tell Joy we were coming did you?"

Lauren shakes her head. She looks at me. "I'm sorry, Joy. I just wanted to surprise you."

I sigh. "That's fine. Next time give me more notice that you want them to come over." I look at the pork. "I just hope I have enough food for you." I pull the pork out of the oven and I put a thermometer into it. The pork is slightly bleeding. I put it back into the oven and I give it an extra minutes.

Jensen enters the kitchen and he looks at my cousins. He forces a smile. "Hey, it's good to see you all again." He moves over to me and he wraps his arms around me. "What are they doing here?"

I turn in his arms and whisper. "Lauren, invited them. I'm sorry, Jensen. I know you told me that you didn't trust them. But, for some reason Lauren does."

He nods. "Yeah, I've noticed that myself. I hope you don't hate me for not liking them."

I laugh. "I forgive you. You do have a point though there is something about them that I don't like. If I tell Lauren my concerns she's going to hate me and I can't deal with that."

"That's what I love about you. You think more about other people than yourself. When it came to the divorce that you insisted on that was the only time that you've been selfish." He kisses my cheek. "I'm looking forward to marrying you, Joy."

I smile. "Me, too. I can't believe we'll be married this Saturday. The girls and I are having a small Bachelorette Party tomorrow."

He whispers. "There better not be a stripper. I don't want my girl to check out another guy. But, I'm sure he wouldn't get too close to you since you're pregnant."

I slap his arm. "Shut up."

He laughs.

I look at the McKellar and Hamilton Families. I raise my glass of water and look at them. "I would like to make a toast. To the McKellar and Hamilton Family becoming one. I hope we have more meals like this in the future."

"Cheers," we clink glasses.

Jensen clears his throat. He rises and looks at me. "I would like to thank my beautiful fiancé for making this perfect meal that we're about to eat." He looks at the pork. "I just hope her food isn't poisoned."

I roll my eyes.

Mrs McKellar slaps him. "Don't be rude. She worked hard making this meal for you."

He smirks. "She did that to impress you Mum. She prefers the food that my cooks make. I should have just got them to cook something."

I shake my head. "They'd probably make us eat snails or some slimy bugs that they insist on feeding us." I rub my belly. "The baby and I prefer pork."

Mr McKellar cuts the pork and he places two slices on everyone's plate. He looks at me. "This looks great, Joy. I apologise for my son. He likes to pick on people when they cook for the family. He's used to his mother's food and the cook's. But, he'll get used to yours as well."

Thanks for reading

Vote/comment/share/follow me

❤️MissDredge❤️

Let me know what you think of the current chapter of The Unwanted Bride.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro