Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Now

We sat around the fire, my falcon feathered cloak wrapped around my shoulders. My head rested on Uhtreds shoulder, my pegasus not far from us and chomped on the grass. "I  will make Edward pay for what he did to Sigtryggr," I said staring into the flames and playing with the runes of Frejya, the smooth stone sliding through my fingers. 

"Don't forget I was the one who killed him," Uhtred reminded me. 

"But you didn't sentence him to death, their Saxon king did!" I spat. My pegasus lifted his head and pinned his ears as he heard our words being exchanged. "Calm boy," I reached to rest a hand on his velvet snout. It wasn't long till he collapsed behind us and wrapped his wings around us. 

"We'll deal with it all in good time," Finan said and slapped my knee gently.  

"For now we all need to lick our wounds," Sihtric said. 

"I need to fix things with Stiorra," Uhtred said. 

"I am not helping you," I said, Uhtred huffed and gently wrapped his arm around my waist.  I pulled a golden apple out of my pocket and handed it to my pegasus. He wasted no time crushing it in between his teeth, the juice covering the ground. 

"Good boy," I said and patted his neck. I relaxed back onto my pegasus' side, he nudged Uhtred away with his head.  

"Looks like someone doesn't want your company anymore," Finan laughed. 

"No, quite," Uhtred laughed. "Will you not be joining me tonight in the longhouse?" I shook my head. 

"No, someone needs to guard your village," I reminded him. 

"Then I too will join you," Sihtric said. 

"That is very unnecessary, Freya is by my side," I replied. 

"Just let someone help you for once," Uhtred said, I looked at him and gave a gentle nod. 

"Okay fine,"  my answer was somewhat reluctant. While everyone retired, we wandered to the gates and stood outside every now and then we circled around outside, the palisades obscuring our view.  We stood in silence, our gazes locked onto the most vulnerable parts of the farmstead.

"It makes me wonder why Odin chose a Valkyrie to join me," Uhtred said. 

"You're one of the special ones," I reminded him. "One of the important warriors."  He chuckled. 

"Perhaps our destinies are intertwined," he said. 

"It would appear son Uhtred Ragnarson," I smiled and played with the bone winged pendant around my neck. 

"I haven't heard that for a long time," he smiled. 

"No, Uhtred of Bebbanburg suits you better," I said.  

"I agree," Finan said as he joined us.  "With this beautiful Valkyrie on your side, she will definitely help you to reclaim your home town." 

"Will you stop?" Uhtred said.

"Nope, I can't help it..." I interrupted Finan before he could say anymore, I stood up and whistled, and my pegasus joined us in no time. Finan tried to reach a hand out to stroke his snout but he tried biting him.

"He may like you one day," I said hauling myself onto his back and flying up above the farmstead. 

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro