Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

A few weeks later and my leg was almost healed and I could walk unaided. However, I now had a slight limp, not as bad as my father's though. We prepared the ship and the men, and I was granted permission to take one horse with me which was Brazen. Just as I went to retrieve him Madis mother stopped me at the barn doors, "please bring her back safely, and make sure you're careful too. If anything were to happen to you I know it would affect a few people here," she said. 

"Are you trying to say you're fond of me?" I asked holding back a giggle. She looked away for a second and then back at me. 

"Yes, you're stubborn but I have become very fond of you over the last few weeks," she said. 

"I'll be careful, Silver and I promise to bring Madi back to you," I walked into the stable with her at my heel.  

"I know, your father said the same," she said. I slipped the rope halter over my horses head, she held him still while I hauled myself onto his back. "Take this," she said and handed me an elaborately decorated dagger. 

"I can't," I said. 

"You must, it holds the people's spirit within," she said, I nodded and took it. I cantered down to the beach,  the ship was almost ready.  I stopped at Silvers side, "are you sure you wouldn't like a horse?" 

"No," he shook his head, I dismounted and led my horse onto the ship. His hooves thudded against the timber and echoed around the belly of the ship, once he was settled in and munching on his great pile of hay I helped them load the last of the supplies on the ship and by noon we were headed to Nassau. I paced up and down the side of the ship my eyes trained on the horizon. "Azure, stop. Save your energy," Silver rested his hand on my shoulder. As we sailed closer to Nassau Woodes Rogers ship sailed towards us.

"What is he doing?" Flint asked. 

"He wants to conduct the trade on his terms," Silver said. When he was only a few metres away, the chest was brought out on our deck, Rogers had his prisoners brought up one by one and shot them emotionlessly, I dug my nails into the side. As soon as Madi emerged Silver and I exchanged glances. 

"Steady," one of my men said. 

I rested my hand on the butt of my flintlock as Flint's face dropped, we let Rogers see the cache Flint's face was one of thunder, his gaze landed on my flintlock and knew I wouldn't hesitate. Rogers ship started to sail off and we followed. "Where is he going?" Flint asked. 

"Skeleton island," I said.  The ship was silent except for raised voices coming from Flints cabin, I sat on the stairs with my head leaning on the bannister. We suddenly heard a longboat launch, Flint and another man from the crew rowed away from us. "Flint has betrayed us!" I announced walking to the nose of the ship. I tore my flintlock from its holster on my chest, I focused on Flint I was ready to shoot him but he was too far away. "I'll make you pay!" I yelled. 

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro